Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glucosamine

Glucosamine

I've started on my first bottle of these today, I don't have any major aches or pains but a chap down my club reckons that it'll help with injury protection... Also as a builder I spend a lot of time on my knees so I thought I'd give it a go...

Does anyone else take Glucosamine or any of the other simular supplements? Have there been any clinical trials on atheletes etc?
    What do you all think?

Re: Glucosamine

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    I've started on my first bottle of these today, I don't have any major aches or pains but a chap down my club reckons that it'll help with injury protection... Also as a builder I spend a lot of time on my knees so I thought I'd give it a go...

Does anyone else take Glucosamine or any of the other simular supplements? Have there been any clinical trials on atheletes etc?
    What do you all think?
    I take it but can't say it does work but I have no problems with my knees

this has been talked about before as has this link

http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...ucosamine.html

I recently did a review at work at what the best evidence base for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee was. Both glucosamine sulphate and chondritin came out well, and in the studies we looked at the side effects were no worse in the group popping the pills to those taking the placebo.
    http://www.physiobench.com
    online physio treatment and advice

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post

What do you all think?
    Twister for Glucosamine to work it would have to pass from the gut into the blood unchanged. Then the liver would have to prepare it for use in the joints. From the liver it would be carried via the blood to the exact place it's needed, and be incorporated into the joint.

Very unlikely! The reason being that Glucosamine is an Amino sugar. Once in the stomach it will be broken down into Amino acids and sugar, just like food. If that wasn't the case it would be found in the blood, and as far as I understand it, it isn't.

Insulin is a polypeptide and has to be injected. If you swallowed it the body would break it down into it's component Amino acids, making it useless for it's intended purposes. The body doesn't say hey those Amino acids came from Insulin so we'll make them back into Insulin. The body will use them for any of its needs, including making Insulin.

It may be possible in future to deliver Insulin via the stomach, but only in combination with something that protects its protein from the stomach acids.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Twister for Glucosamine to work it would have to pass from the gut into the blood unchanged. Then the liver would have to prepare it for use in the joints. From the liver it would be carried via the blood to the exact place it's needed, and be incorporated into the joint.

Very unlikely!
    so are u sayin that it's a waste o' time tekkin the stuff?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    I take 2 Glucosamine a day and a cod liver oil and I've never been as daft but my knees are OK at the minute

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I take 2 Glucosamine a day and a cod liver oil and I've never been as daft but my knees are OK at the minute
    Nice Stagger

Master

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    Yes! But if I said only that, people would want to know why.

What about WD40?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    What about WD40?
    Is that what the Tin-Man uses on the Wizard of Oz? Or was that too early?