Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glucosamine

Re: Glucosamine

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Mountain Goatess I disagree with part of your last sentence. We have to make decisions on what we think are best, but quite often what we think and what actually is, are two completely different things.

In other words just because one's research and beliefs make you take a particular course of action, doesn't necessarily make it good.
    Yes we are human and we all make mistakes.
    We have to make our own decisions on what to do for the best for ourselves based on knowledge and belief and trial and error. Each individuals needs are different and as I have said before, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Mountain Goatess I disagree with part of your last sentence. We have to make decisions on what we think are best, but quite often what we think and what actually is, are two completely different things.

In other words just because one's research and beliefs make you take a particular course of action, doesn't necessarily make it good.
    Bit like your squats advice?

The jury is out on Glucosamine. I did take it and I thought it beneficial but it is a weird thing because you don't actually know if it is working or not. If your usual joint aches are not there you put it down to glucosamine but it could actually be that you are getting stronger therefore less likely to be injured. Placebo effect may also be a good reason.

Stopped taking it and not feeling any different. Did it work at the time but now don't need it or did I never need it?

If I start with niggles and aches and pains again I will start using again regardless of what the latest research says because I want to keep running and will happily try that if it may work.

There is lots of anecdotal evidence (not done by drugs companies) that show positive effects but not in all people. Cannot be bothered to dig them out but use google scholar to search.

Flightless bird - Glucosamine is like ibuprofen in that it is the amount in the tablet that is important not the actual amount on the price tag. May dissolve slower but the results (if any) will be the same. So buy cheap but compare the actual amount of glucosamine. Studies reckon about 1500mg a day so usually 3 500mg tabs. I may be proven wrong with some long scientific reasoning but that is my current understanding.

I reckon its worth a try as so many people swear by it and you can pick it up quite cheap if you shop around.

Master

Try here :- http://www.healthspan.co.uk/default.aspx

Delivery is quick and efficient

You might like a crack at the nutriprofile while on the site
    Last edited by JohnK; 19-06-2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added the nutriprofile bit
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    Yes we are human and we all make mistakes.
    We have to make our own decisions on what to do for the best for ourselves based on knowledge and belief and trial and error. Each individuals needs are different and as I have said before, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.
    Very true

On the narrow subject of Glucosomine, I have to say it made a big difference to me. Knee joints in particular were getting a bit shoddy and I just thought it was an inevitable consequence of reaching middle age after a lifetime of hill walking, climbing, playing cricket and rugby. I tried it on the advice of a friend and very soon it was as if 20 years of wear and tear had never happened. Nothing else had changed in my exercise or dietary regimes. 10 years later my legs still work almost as well as they did when I was 20. Of course it could all have been a coincidence and I'd probably accept that it was if presented with overwhelming scientific evidence that Glucosomine was a waste of time.
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Most of the scientific evidence on glucosamine is from studies of people with arthritis.
    It's quite a leap of faith to believe that something that might just work on a diseased joint, will help to protect a healthy one.

I was recommended glucosamine by a physio to a premier league football team. I had problems with the joint of my right ankle on runs above 30 miles.
    Since taking Glucosamine i have never had any such problems and have been much further than the 30 mile limit.
    I seriously doubt that this is a placebo effect. I must admit i was sceptical but it has definately worked for me.
    Generally going nowhere fast.

I reckon them there placebo pills must be good, where can I get hold of some of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    I reckon them there placebo pills must be good, where can I get hold of some of them?
    In your own head.co.uk
    Hills and Guinness!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    In your own head.co.uk
    Gotobed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Gotobed.com
    I did after that, been on the insomniac shift
    Hills and Guinness!