Page 214 of 218 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 2177

Thread: Borrowdale Fell Race

Just arrived in a very busy Keswick, as expected on a summer Friday evening. Also a Christian and scout convention going on this weekend increasing the crowd.

Weather forecast looking promising, it's a gorgeous day today. Just heading out for a gentle run up to Walla Crag and perhaps Bleaberry Fell to loosen up the legs.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

What a fantastic day out yesterday.

Must admit I had my doubts about Borrowdale, not sure why, maybe just the popularity of it, but for some reason it didn't really appeal to me in the same way as Wasdale, Buttermere, Peris....

But I have to eat my words, it's a new favourite race of mine, it's pretty perfect, has everything, and the distance is just right that it can be raced from the start (for the good runners anyway)...

Won't say too much more, there's enough written about this race already, but was hoping for under 5 hours and managed 4:50.... Was on for a possible 4:30 but hit the wall going up Dale Head then had 3 massive bouts of cramp between there and the finish, it was a sorry trudge along the valley floor back to the finish.

Well done. It's also much more difficult than the distance alone would suggest. I think because for an average runner it's still a race rather than a challenge.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    What a fantastic day out yesterday.

Must admit I had my doubts about Borrowdale, not sure why, maybe just the popularity of it, but for some reason it didn't really appeal to me in the same way as Wasdale, Buttermere, Peris....

But I have to eat my words, it's a new favourite race of mine, it's pretty perfect, has everything, and the distance is just right that it can be raced from the start (for the good runners anyway)...

Won't say too much more, there's enough written about this race already, but was hoping for under 5 hours and managed 4:50.... Was on for a possible 4:30 but hit the wall going up Dale Head then had 3 massive bouts of cramp between there and the finish, it was a sorry trudge along the valley floor back to the finish.
    Well done - its always good when a race exceeds your expectations and Borrowdale is one of the best IMHO, but as you have now realised, it is not to be underestimated under race conditions. It has long been one of my favourite day's out in the Lakes but I'd never felt fit enough to give the race a go until last year. However, the initial ascents followed by the long slog across Glaramara, Esk Hause etc. take far more out of you than you'd expect. Having recce'd it in a comfortable 4.5 hours or so, I went at it expecting to hit nearer 4. However, cramp set in at the bottom of the Scafell Pike scree and by the time I hit Gable, I could have laid down by the side of the path and called it a day! No chance of that though, so having made honister with 10 minutes to spare, I then went into preservation mode knowing that I should at least finish and came back into Rosthwaite in a shade over 5 hours. I swore never again, but as long as I shake off this year's injury, I'm planning to have another crack at it next year (unless Mrs S gets wind of it!)
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I think this was my 5th Borrowdale and apart from Buttermere it's the only one of the properly long A races in the Lakes that I've done. It tends to end up as a bit of a 'centrepiece' for my year's racing, but one I always approach with some trepidation....the fear of going too fast too early and reaching Esk Hause with very little left in the tank, the fear of not making enough of the runnable bits because I'm holding back, worried about Gable and Dale Head.....if it's claggy, also the fear of getting lost, which I managed temporarily a couple of years ago between Bessy Boot and Esk Hause, despite having been in and around a dozen or so runners only moments before the mist settled in.

Despite all of the above it's a highlight of the year and as others have said has a bit of everything. I came to it this year having done about half the training I'd hoped to and with a wonky knee and had the odd experience of feeling like I wasn't going very quickly at all, while at the same time feeling like I was my limits for most of it. The climb up Gable was a particularly character building half hour (yes, I know) and the less said about Dale Head the better, but I managed to stumble home in just over 4.30, which if modest by most standards, is only 15 mins slower than my fastest time. I'm aready thinking about what I can do to be faster next year.

Big thanks to all involved in putting on such a great race and to the kind gentleman who offered me his place as a substitute when I missed the entry window.

I really love this race, what route! Its a tough one and I used it as a bit of a benchmark for future running. I'm only just getting back to proper fitness after my reactive arthritis in my knee last year. Twelve weeks of not being able to walk properly (let alone run) was a nightmare but I've done Anni Waltz, Three Peaks and Kentmere Horseshoe since. I plodded around all of them (only just made cut offs on 3ps!) which has been humbling but I did Borrowdale in 5.11 this year, only 3 mins slower than when I ran it in 2012 so I'm chuffed with that. It felt a lot harder but now I have something to work on and its given me a confidence boost.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Entry Form in the post for Borrowdale.
    It'll be first time for me so really looking forward to it. Been wanting to have a go at it these last few years but never managed it what with work commitments, injuries, not fit enough, etc.
    So hopefully I'll get a place and have a grand few days up in the Lakes in early August.

An interesting day out at Borrowdale today. As Scoffer explained on the start line, they were under considerable pressure to either cancel or shorten, due to the worrying weather forecast. Thankfully a route was found which allowed a race to go ahead, and i think everyone really appreciated this.

The route then... A reverse of the usual final descent, climbing up through Rigg Beck Slate Workings, bearing right at the top to the summit of High Spy. From there a down and up to Dale Head. Down to Honister. Then up/across to the top of Rigg Beck Workings again, and down the usual final descent.

Ricky Lightfoot took the honours in around 1hr16, with Carl Bell close behind, Rob Jebb a couple of minutes back in 3rd. Sharon Taylor i believe won the women's race.

As to my own race, i climbed strongly and descended poorly, which was magnified by the slippery conditions. Spent most of the race in a battle around 30-35th place, but dropped 2-3 minutes (and about 10 places) on the final descent, to finish 46th in 1hr37. Also allowing Tindersticks to pass me on that descent and gain revenge for the Old Crown Round.

Splits tell the story... my climbing splits were in the 30's, but the two main descents (down to Honister, and back down to the valley) were in the 70's.

Didn't stick around for prize-giving due to the awful weather, and i was soaked through, but seemed the usual jolly post-race atmosphere afterwards.

Today marked my 100th fell race. Hopefully by the time 200 comes round i'm still learning and improving.

Pete

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    An interesting day out at Borrowdale today. As Scoffer explained on the start line, they were under considerable pressure to either cancel or shorten, due to the worrying weather forecast. Thankfully a route was found which allowed a race to go ahead, and i think everyone really appreciated this.

The route then... A reverse of the usual final descent, climbing up through Rigg Beck Slate Workings, bearing right at the top to the summit of High Spy. From there a down and up to Dale Head. Down to Honister. Then up/across to the top of Rigg Beck Workings again, and down the usual final descent.

Ricky Lightfoot took the honours in around 1hr16, with Carl Bell close behind, Rob Jebb a couple of minutes back in 3rd. Sharon Taylor i believe won the women's race.

As to my own race, i climbed strongly and descended poorly, which was magnified by the slippery conditions. Spent most of the race in a battle around 30-35th place, but dropped 2-3 minutes (and about 10 places) on the final descent, to finish 46th in 1hr37. Also allowing Tindersticks to pass me on that descent and gain revenge for the Old Crown Round.

Splits tell the story... my climbing splits were in the 30's, but the two main descents (down to Honister, and back down to the valley) were in the 70's.

Didn't stick around for prize-giving due to the awful weather, and i was soaked through, but seemed the usual jolly post-race atmosphere afterwards.

Today marked my 100th fell race. Hopefully by the time 200 comes round i'm still learning and improving.

Pete
    Well done - it was jolly slippery out there today, and wet slate must be one of the most slippery surfaces in the known universe - alongside wet mouldy wood.

Yes it was slippery... but not to make excuses for myself... as Tindersticks considerately pointed out after we had finished, my descending technique requires working on, and if i can start to make improvements there i'd see a rapid improvement in my finishing positions.