Page 164 of 218 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 2177

Thread: Borrowdale Fell Race

Master and MR

Re: Borrowdale 2010

Brilliantly organized race as usual. The borrow dale race is one of the best races on the calendar. I faired okay but didn't quite get the right line after bessyboot. An interesting note for those runners that descend well on rock was that the runners who were about 20 seconds in front of me at gable summit were slower than me down to windy gap. They took the grassy line and trod and I took the nightmare tourist path. I'm starting to think there isn't much in it to be honest. There was a sprightly chap heading down it when I passed who gave some nice words of encouragement. Thanks to Jon broxap, nice one. Also thanks to merry legs for a shout at honister. Decided i wouldn't follow Gavin bland down to hoister and that I would choose my own line down.
    Guess who arrived at the quarry first. I was at least 40 seconds behind him starting the climb up Dale head

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Brilliantly organized race as usual. The borrow dale race is one of the best races on the calendar. I faired okay but didn't quite get the right line after bessyboot. An interesting note for those runners that descend well on rock was that the runners who were about 20 seconds in front of me at gable summit were slower than me down to windy gap. They took the grassy line and trod and I took the nightmare tourist path. I'm starting to think there isn't much in it to be honest. There was a sprightly chap heading down it when I passed who gave some nice words of encouragement. Thanks to Jon broxap, nice one. Also thanks to merry legs for a shout at honister. Decided i wouldn't follow Gavin bland down to hoister and that I would choose my own line down.
    Guess who arrived at the quarry first. I was at least 40 seconds behind him starting the climb up Dale head
    Aye, you didn't look too happy at Honister daz, but you were going well mate, nice to see you
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Not a tall tale!
    So Scott came 6th, 3:11, he was third for a while but fell a couple times He would have ran better if the conditions had been better cuz he has done before, but he will win it in one of the coming years i have faith in my friend!
    they said his name wrong at prize giving too ahh
    I liked the day even though id dint race, was good, congrats all you runners :-)
    Think i saw your mate going up Dalehead, just a young lad? Looked strong and had a big smile on his face, well done to him.
    Hills and Guinness!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Aye, you didn't look too happy at Honister daz, but you were going well mate, nice to see you
    Thanks mate

Some more photos taken by Mrs T
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/TommoP...rowdaleFR2010#
    Big thanks to all who helped in the organisation of this race, marshalls, sponsors, and all associated with the race, etc, a great day finished in fine Borrowdale Sunshine.

What a race !!

I now realise I need to train harder for next year...!

It was the first time i truly expereinced a 'bonk'; I ran fine to the summit of Scafell Pike but began to feel sick on the aschent of Great Gable, slowing me down dramatically for the stretch to Honister Pass. By the time I got there, I was within 25 mins of the cut-off and seriously considered retiring due to the way I felt... Thankfully, and in spite of the tank being completely empty, and probably due to the flpjack given to me by fellow Cambridge Harrier Pat Austin (who couldn't race due injury,) somewhere deep within me the fighting spirit pushed me very slowly up Dale Head and helped me hobble down the other side to the finish line.

If i looked anything like i felt when I crossed the finish line, i was probably sheet white and wobbly

I was very pleased to finish, even if somewhat slower than expected, and know that my nav was fine, just need to do more long in-terrain training runds for next year.

Well done to all finishers, a big thanks to the organisers and especially the marshals on those claggy & cold summits. Commiserations to those who retired or got cut off, including 2 of my fellow club runners - one of whom went a bit wrong and ended up on Kirk Fell !

Back next year
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by nightingale View Post
    Peawet, I sympathise. I didn't make the cut off.
    Tough luck Nightingale, hope you make it next year. I felt I had a better run than last year, didn't bonk on Gable this time, but managed to finish 2 minutes slower.

3 silly navigational errors (including a loop around Broad Crag), and 2 bouts of cramp might have had something to do with that. Oh and then there's my total inability to descend at anything other than a snails pace on wet rock. well here's to next year.

Quote Originally Posted by toppolecat View Post
    Many thanks to the organisers and marshalls of, what is in my opinion, the best race in the calendar.
    I agree, well done to all who work hard to make this event what it is.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Think i was with you on Broad Crag. What were we doing? Managed to pick it up and get a pb though, but can't help thinking what might have been time-wise. Buggered up the glaramara bit, broad crag and the line to brandreth. Reckon that cost me a sub four hour finish, but loved the race. Thanks to Scoffer and co

Quote Originally Posted by FarFromTheFells View Post
    What a race !!

I now realise I need to train harder for next year...!

It was the first time i truly expereinced a 'bonk'; I ran fine to the summit of Scafell Pike but began to feel sick on the aschent of Great Gable, slowing me down dramatically for the stretch to Honister Pass. By the time I got there, I was within 25 mins of the cut-off and seriously considered retiring due to the way I felt... Thankfully, and in spite of the tank being completely empty, and probably due to the flpjack given to me by fellow Cambridge Harrier Pat Austin (who couldn't race due injury,) somewhere deep within me the fighting spirit pushed me very slowly up Dale Head and helped me hobble down the other side to the finish line.

If i looked anything like i felt when I crossed the finish line, i was probably sheet white and wobbly

I was very pleased to finish, even if somewhat slower than expected, and know that my nav was fine, just need to do more long in-terrain training runds for next year.

Well done to all finishers, a big thanks to the organisers and especially the marshals on those claggy & cold summits. Commiserations to those who retired or got cut off, including 2 of my fellow club runners - one of whom went a bit wrong and ended up on Kirk Fell !

Back next year
    What a small world. Your friend (Peter) who had a wander up Kirk Fell will tell you he had company for the unexpected excursion...ME!!

What a pair of numpties we are

Anyway, tell him Trev said hello and hopefully next time we meet we'll be going the right way.

Yesterday was a good example of why you shouldnt take on Borrowdale without the appropriate amount of training. Injury since Easter prevented me getting in any long training runs - I hadnt raced longer than 2 hrs since Langdale last yr. This is the result - a PW in just over 5 hrs - over 1 hr slower than my PB and about 45 mins slower than last yr.
    www.sportsunday.co.uk/photo5832078.html#photo
    Last edited by Also Ran; 08-08-2010 at 10:49 PM.