Page 216 of 218 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218 LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 2177

Thread: Borrowdale Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    And one I don't possess given the number of scars and broken bones I have accumulated over the years!
    I still have a scar on the palm of my hand from the Scafell Pike descent and another on my ankle from stonefall on the original Bessyboot climb....
    I always rated Borrowdale as a step up from Langdale, a notch below Wasdale or Ennerdale.
    I was hoping to celebrate my impending 65th birthday by running the 50th after celebrating my imminent 40th by doing the 25th. I still have the T Shirt and was going to wear it. Alas COVID has delayed the 50th, not sure just when that will happen now or if I can still beat the Honister cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I still have a scar on the palm of my hand from the Scafell Pike descent and another on my ankle from stonefall on the original Bessyboot climb....
    I always rated Borrowdale as a step up from Langdale, a notch below Wasdale or Ennerdale.
    I was hoping to celebrate my impending 65th birthday by running the 50th after celebrating my imminent 40th by doing the 25th. I still have the T Shirt and was going to wear it. Alas COVID has delayed the 50th, not sure just when that will happen now or if I can still beat the Honister cut off.
    The mind is a funny thing. I used to link Three Shires and Langdale in my mind as similar sort of races.

I loved Three Shires, had some pleasing races and did it 15 times. I always hated Langdale, I never felt I had raced really well in my 9 races and after I tore my knee open on the crinkles I lost all my confidence for racing over jagged rocks and never ran it again.

But, say, Borrowdale was always fine and I could win prizes!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 25-07-2023 at 08:49 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I still have a scar on my shin from descending Lliwedd on the Peris race at a speed that far outmatched my ability over that difficulty of terrain.

Every year i'd end up bloody from that descent.... until last time i did it, i thought i was going to get home in one piece, then i slipped on the stile on the top of Moel Cynghorion and ended up losing another couple of pints!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    With the exception of a broken finger on my right hand, I generally land on my left side which is now liberally strewn with scars from my knee to hand, arm and shoulder. Not that I should be proud of such a thing but my physio has pronounced me one of her most 'decorated' clients.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I'm beginning to feel like a complete fraud, calling myself a fell runner when I have no broken bones, and the only scars I have are from brambles encountered on my local footpaths.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I could not thank you chaps enough for all the inside knowledge, far more than I ever anticipated.
    I now have some many more races in my bucket list, I don't think I have enough years to complete them in, ahahahaha!
    Also, I look forward to so many more injuries....NOT!
    Last edited by Simo Caps; 25-07-2023 at 03:42 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I think terrain is key. One can always follow someone who knows the best route (up and down) but the ability to run fast over jagged rocks is a gift from God.
    Spot on. Some run as if they are just jumping over pillows and cushions, not skin and bone threatening rocks.

undercover moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I always hated Langdale, I never felt I had raced really well in my 9 races
    2009 was the worst.
    Screenshot_20230725-210150787 (1).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Spot on. Some run as if they are just jumping over pillows and cushions, not skin and bone threatening rocks.
    Obviously from my perspective I don't see this much but when on an out and back course I have seen some absolute marvels of fell running of which, even in my prime, I could only dream of. There are those of us who run on the fells and a chosen few who seem to be at one with them, floating over life threatening terrain with ease. Seldom am I more impressed
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Simo Caps View Post
    I could not thank you chaps enough for all the inside knowledge, far more than I ever anticipated.
    I now have some many more races in my bucket list, I don't think I have enough years to complete them in, ahahahaha!
    Also, I look forward to so many more injuries....NOT!
    You're welcome. Hopefully you won't pick up any injuries but don't say we didn't warn you!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast