Page 51 of 218 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Borrowdale Fell Race

Thumbs up Re: Borrowdale 07

Have a good run tomorrow folks - go easy on the Banana cake.

Looking to see you on the day.

Re: Borrowdale 07

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Thanks a bundle Moo - I have been edited out!

PS - weather will be cr*p
    ill be there rosthwaite car park .tenish right!

Quote Originally Posted by owmeknee View Post
    ill be there rosthwaite car park .tenish right!
    on my way up, see you tomorrow - note! thread moved to reccie.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleplodder View Post
    It's not a case of being 'too broken', more will you have the necessary 'mountaincraft' to get round in crap weather using a map and compass, rather than relying on following someone or having reccied it in perfect weather.
    Borrowdale does seem to have the image of being a soft touch long race but I can assure you it isn't. Some very experienced runners at the front of the field, including a local (who will remain nameless), got lost last year.
    It will only take a day with weather like we've had today to happen and there will be much bigger problems.
    It is <highly> likely that in future years you will be asked to pre-enter giving previous experience of long races to be eligible to run at Borrowdale.
    There have in the past been some complete numpties (no personal offence to you intended) turning up on the day.
    If you have any doubts about your ability could I suggest that you do a few more medium category races and approach it with the confidence of being happy you'll get round rather than having a nightmare and being put off for life.

Cheers PP, thats given me food for thought. TBH I had previouslydy made my mind up NOT to enter but it was when my mate mentioned he was gonna do it. Think I'll have a word with him again - show him the thread and advise against it. Will still try to get a recce in though - all good practice/knowledge etc etc.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Master and MR

huw that white powder worked instantly after the drop off dale head
    cheers
    shit im on the wrong thread
    oooops

yes you are only allowed to talk about the race proper here - i believe....... white powder references have to go on the 'other'.

Did you misread the question HD?

15/17 degrees is the dead reckon scafell pike to the scree gully

66/67 is the bearing on the fast route off gable.

15 degrees of gable would send you plummeting down Gable crag, which is E grade rocklimbing!!!

I've moved this reply from the recce thread cos it's 'proper' stuff!

Mike or anyone! I thought the scree gully was 22 degrees coming off Scarfell??
    is this wrong?

That route off gable was MUCH better - hope i can find it again
    and will someone please clear up the Brandreth to Honister issue oh and the corridor route to sty head!!

I need to get the right line down to the gully just befor sty head to avoid all the slippy rocks please!

The brandreth route verses Moses Trod?

I know Paul found it 5 minutes quicker because he ran it all which maybe better for me ? I haven't recce'd it though so on race day don't want to risk dissapearing off on my own - but is it a clear trod all the way down or is there a bearing needed at any point?

OR - if I go to the first stile but NOT over it and carry straight on up along the fence line how did we get onto the grassy run down on the recce in June as we went the other way on saturday but from what I remember the fence line route for me felt a bit quicker and more runable

HELP PLEASE!!!

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Did you misread the question HD?

15/17 degrees is the dead reckon scafell pike to the scree gully

66/67 is the bearing on the fast route off gable.

15 degrees of gable would send you plummeting down Gable crag, which is E grade rocklimbing!!!

I've moved this reply from the recce thread cos it's 'proper' stuff!

Mike or anyone! I thought the scree gully was 22 degrees coming off Scarfell??
    is this wrong?

That route off gable was MUCH better - hope i can find it again
    and will someone please clear up the Brandreth to Honister issue oh and the corridor route to sty head!!

I need to get the right line down to the gully just befor sty head to avoid all the slippy rocks please!

The brandreth route verses Moses Trod?

I know Paul found it 5 minutes quicker because he ran it all which maybe better for me ? I haven't recce'd it though so on race day don't want to risk dissapearing off on my own - but is it a clear trod all the way down or is there a bearing needed at any point?

OR - if I go to the first stile but NOT over it and carry straight on up along the fence line how did we get onto the grassy run down on the recce in June as we went the other way on saturday but from what I remember the fence line route for me felt a bit quicker and more runable

HELP PLEASE!!!
    scafell

They were saying 22 behind us - but the line you went down on my compass was 17 where there is a small but definite trod - and you get to see the crag to your left which ensures you are in the right place. In the end emmi dont worry about a couple of degrees here, the ground channels you into the gully so long as you are not massively out.

corridor route

I dont think there is one " right answer. "

It depends what you like, and what kind of ground you are fast on. There is a lot of grass you can run, but it needs a lot of dodging and ducking of the path.

Dont think I was on the rocks more than a few hundred yards, and I only came back up ot the path because that is where some of you still were. I prefer the grass low down, but if you are still up high on the rocky path you do better to follow it round at the end as we did. If you are already lower down on the grass that grass gully is better. The problem is if you are too high up there is a "ravine" that is hard to cross.

brandreth/grey knotts.

Again I dont think there is a "right" answer - avoiding brandreth to the left is further by 800m and possible a bit more, against 50m extra climb over brandreth. It is not 5 minutes quicker, unless you are a fast runner and cr*p climber. And moses trod is rougher and not quite as good running as it seems from where you saw it. If by then you are reduced mostly to fast walking, the shortest route over the top is the best If you are still running fast, consider moses trod, but look on the map first. It is a long way round.

There are then a choice of routes from grey knotts. Either straight down , or arcs to the left towards better ground ( my preference, but I like spongy grass) There is also advantage going the high route that in serious white out clag, the fence is a good navigation hand rail. Theres also a path that goes into the back of the quarry itself on the right of the fence all the way down and, IMHO it is horrible ( dont think you have seen that)

You are looking for objective answers emmi, where the real answer is subjective: it is what is best for you that matters. And in the end, it probably doesnt make much difference at all. Pacing it properly - tapering, drinking and eating will make a lot more difference than any small tweak in the route.

Master and MR

comin down the corridor route you pass stand crag on your left , about 20 seconds after the path veers slightly left , plummet left and fly down the grass with the gulley to your left , dont drop to low and aim for the last piece of grass that you can run off , just aim straight for the bottom of gable, you miss that up and down gulley and cut the corner off.

who is staying for the weekend?
    The race does not always go to the swift, but to the ones who keep running