Page 54 of 218 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Borrowdale Fell Race

Re: Borrowdale 07

I'm guesstimating that I'd probably do this run in the 3 1/2 to 4 hour bracket.

What do you think is a reasonable first effort - I run 35 to 40 miles most weeks all off road in the dales and lakes and would reckon to do the Wharfedale off road marathon in say 4 or so hours. I've run the 3 peaks of yorshire half a dozen times (3 in the proper fell face) with a PB of 4:40 ish but I have been doing much more running of late and (touch wood) don't have any injuries so maybe a 4:30 better fits my current 'speed' ...... if speed is the right word

I'm expecting to add 30minutes onto my PB for the 3 peaks. I've got a feeling I could get an "and the rest" comment here.

So 3.30mins with a pb at the peaks off 4.40 may be asking a tad to much.

Its rougher tougher and higher.

Its also my first time, so im just looking to set my self a target for next year.

Gulp! I can see it being tougher (the huge boulder field leading up to Scafell Pike being a good example) but the distance is shorter and surely nothing on earth can be as painful as ascending Whernside! I came up with the 3 1/2 to 4 mile guesstimate from a jog trot I did to the Pike from Langdale returning back round Bow Fell (?) taking me 2:55 ish. That's say 11 or 12 miles so another hour on top could work.

I must admit I'm now worried if its supposedly tougher than the 3 peaks.

EDIT - Just seen this http://www.borrowdalefellrunners.co....esultsborr.htm and have revised my micky mouse assumptions accordingly. Looks like 5 hours would be good!
    Last edited by Stolly; 26-07-2007 at 12:39 PM.

You will wish you where back on Whernside when you start the climb up Gable! Have a good race.

Dont worry about it stolly,

Im just giving it a go without even worrying about times this year.

The 3ps is a lot more runnable, I think and thats why you get round it quicker.

Listen to me, I sound like I know what im on about.

Master and MR

who cares about times
    im just hoping it will be clear so that i can take in the day

when your sat here at work in this dump and its chucking it down you dont half appreciate the fells

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    who cares about times

when your sat here at work in this dump and its chucking it down you dont half appreciate the fells
    Yes much better to be up there when its chucking it down

Bill

My only purpose in trying to guess the time is so that I can tell the wife the approximate time of my return home........... should I survive of course!

Hmm I'm really not sure how long it'll take me. As long as I can make it to Barrow for 3pm Sunday I'll be happy
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Quote Originally Posted by blackrod lad View Post
    You will wish you where back on Whernside when you start the climb up Gable! Have a good race.
    wahay - daz - you'd be proud............ got up GG in 27 minutes this morning!! - mind you hadn't already run 3 hours but all the same!

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    who cares about times

I have just navigated (well watched huw going round in cirlces!!) off GG over to Windy Gap grey knotts, brandreth etc etc in the thickest clag, howling wind and driving rain I've seen - especially for July! Think we did a really cracking job off getting off that fell to be honest - it was unreal

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Yes much better to be up there when its chucking it down

Bill
    only when you come back down to Honister to have a mug of Emmis home made soup to warm the cockles!