Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nausea during ultras

Master

nausea during ultras

Unfortunately when I do very long distances I suffer nausea after a few hours and once I have it it never goes away.
    My companions say its because I dont eat enough and this is negatively impacting on blood chemistry. My problem is although I start out with the intention of eating more and filling my face on cakes etc, once the nausea bites in I simply cannot eat the required amounts. I just have to fight on through.
    I did BGR last week which was great, but from Great Dodd onwards I felt sick and it does impact upon the enjoyment of the event.
    I have a half baked plan to do The Paddy B in 4 weeks and would value any experience forum readers have on this and what might be happening to my insides during these punishing events?

Re: nausea during ultras

I think nausea is very common on long treks. As is mentioned on another thread, you need to make sure you know what you can eat after lots of miles. Experiment wth savoury food.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Super Moderator

I think what you drink can have an impact too. I've set off on long runs a few times and felt fine for hours drinking just plain water but then been tempted by a cup of tea with sugar (don't normally have sugar in tea) or even some squash and very quickly felt sick.

It could also be lack of sleep the night before. I have suffered twice with nausea. Once I was daft enough to run after working nights, and the second time I ran after flying through the night.

Are you sleeping the night before, or worrying about the run? and the nausea?

Master

I have to agree about worrying about the run and then whether i will get the nausea, but it feels more than performane anxiety. I feel something also happens to the blood chemistry. I am interested in looking at less sweet foods,but not sure what wouldnt make you too thirsty?

Interesting topic and one that I've been trying to fathom for a while.

When running 4+ hours, I tend to suffer from DELAYED nausea. I feel OK when running but when I stop, the nausea soon starts. To make it even more confusing, after Ennerdale last weekend, I was OK at the finish, drank a few waters and squashes, a cuppa and some cake, still felt OK but on the drive back, had to stop as I thought I was going to hurl. I didn't but the nausea lingered for a hour or so after.

What's going on? Is it a natural consequence of fatigue and / or changes in blood sugar levels etc.

Also, I have found eating savoury instead of all sweet to be far more palatable and nausea reducing
    “A life Jimmy. It’s the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come.”

Master

Lay off Caffeine and Alcohol for at least 2 weeks (a month is better) before an ultra, and concentrate on getting the Electrolyte/Protein/Carbohydrate Balance right.

Tis what i do and i do not suffer Nausea or cramps over distances of 100 miles plus, and the pint of Cider after an event is pure Nectar.

Good luck
    The older I get the Faster I was

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Lay off alcohol for at least 2 weeks (a month is better) before an ultra
    Sounds tougher than running a 100 John!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Sounds tougher than running a 100 John!!

Yep i know but it`s a small price to pay for a good comfortable day out
    The older I get the Faster I was

I'm sure it's a simplistic explanation but I always thought nausea was down to the blood supply to the stomach being reduced because it was diverted to the muscles and so it was just something to live with... or something. I can actually live with the nausea but usually get stomach cramps on a long run which is a bit more uncomfortable.