Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: BGR's on midsummer's day

Re: BGR's on midsummer's day

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    We were recceing Leg 2 in the afternoon and got as far as Great Dodd but the wind was so fierce we couldn't even hear each other and could barely put one foot in front of the other so we sacked it and came off into St John's in the Vale... so errr hope you know where you're going next week Daz and Marv. Congratulations and commiserations (as appropriate) to everyone who was out this weekend!
    Being out there in those conditions was above and beyond the call of duty, but if it does get like that, on Saturday morning at least you'll be well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    There was also a contender starting when we finished at 6pm yesterday. If he's still going I bet he's a bit wet and windswept! Anyway, he said that he'd swam Coniston and then done the Fred Whitton before he started
    Hi
    That was me starting at 6pm. Yes I did swim Coniston, then did the Fred Whitton (climbing all the passes).
    At the top of Blencathra I was on schedule (3hrs 50 Minutes), despite looking for a suitable crossing point over the River Caldew that was now in full torrent. In the gale force winds we decided that Halls fell was not an option in the fading light so decided to descend via Scales fel l. During the decent I decided it was far too dangerous to attempt leg 2 in the dark. I re-started at 6am but at the top of Clough Head I decided that it was still too dangerous to continue. The challenge will still be there next year – as will I. Any volunteers to pace me round the BG are more than welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ironmandave View Post
    Hi
    That was me starting at 6pm. Yes I did swim Coniston, then did the Fred Whitton (climbing all the passes).
    At the top of Blencathra I was on schedule (3hrs 50 Minutes), despite looking for a suitable crossing point over the River Caldew that was now in full torrent. In the gale force winds we decided that Halls fell was not an option in the fading light so decided to descend via Scales fell During the decent I decided it was far too dangerous to attempt leg 2 in the dark. I re-started at 6am but at the top of Clough Head I decided that it was still too dangerous to continue. The challenge will still be there next year – as will I. Any volunteers to pace me round the BG are more than welcome!
    Hard luck Dave.

I don't think there was a man or woman who was stood in Keswick on Sat at 6.00pm waiting for their runners to come in would have wanted to go up in to that weather. It was a brave effort just to consider it. I for one would be happy to help out. I certainly know where the alley way is at the start

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Beer View Post
    I started at 1am on Sunday morning. Conditions were fine until we got onto the Helvellyn ridge. From then on it just got worse and worse and by Great End the winds were getting fairly dangerous so I decided to call it a day. A real shame but next time around hopefully there won't be gales ! So many thanks to my support crew for pacing and otherwise helping in such weather...
    I was out with Pete on leg 3 in probably the worst conditions I have ever been outside of a building in - gusting up to 60 or more, horizontal heavy rain whipping in, visibility down to less than 50m at points. We had to stand still at times because the wind was too strong to move. I gather it was much the same on leg 2, though he was mostly into the wind as well on that leg.

In spite of all that, Pete was only 9 mins off pace at Bow Fell, and lost a few more minutes going over to Great End. The weather continued to worsen and he made the right decision to get off the fells. A really impressive effort given the weather and I am sure he would have been well ahead of schedule in anything other than a gale.

Top effort Mr Slater, looking forwards to you attempt next year
    Done them all !!

Bowland BG'er Ian Cookson, had a bad fall on Bowfell just after midday, he slowed down and eventually finished in 23:56
    Found out yesterday he'd broken 2 ribs....
    What a super star
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Bowland BG'er Ian Cookson, had a bad fall on Bowfell just after midday, he slowed down and eventually finished in 23:56
    Found out yesterday he'd broken 2 ribs....
    What a super star
    Aye Wynnie, they breed'em tough twixt t'Ribble and t'Lune!

Well done to all who completed over the weekend and commiserations to those who fell short.
    I enjoyed doing the first leg with the Dark Peak machine in perfect conditions but I think we all knew it was going to get tough later on. I was so lucky that I had brought my attempt forward by 4 weeks as I would definitely have struggled had I been starting at my planned time of 0100 saturday morning.

Out of interest, just how much clothing were people wearing who did get round?
    I had 4 layers on top, including a fully waterproof hooded jacket, and my top half was as good as dry (only slightly damp inside my jacket from earlier exertion). Admitedly I was in (long lycra) shorts when it turned bad, but I've been out in colder conditions before and not found I've needed more on my legs than shorts.

I dread to think what it would have been like in just vest and shorts as WD describes some of the competitors in the Great Lakes Run.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Out of interest, just how much clothing were people wearing who did get round?
    I had 4 layers on top, including a fully waterproof hooded jacket, and my top half was as good as dry (only slightly damp inside my jacket from earlier exertion). Admitedly I was in (long lycra) shorts when it turned bad, but I've been out in colder conditions before and not found I've needed more on my legs than shorts.

I dread to think what it would have been like in just vest and shorts as WD describes some of the competitors in the Great Lakes Run.
    i Was one of the Dark Peak contender - we started at the customary 18:45 on Friday...

All I had on was one long sleved Merino Baselayer (made by Howies - expensive but sooo worth it!) which i had on the whole way round. A lightweight waterproof Jacket and OMM pants over shorts. And a Buff on my head. I had more kit but didn't need it.

We were coming over pillar at about 1pm on the Saturday, so I guess we had some, if not the worst of the weather.

I felt fine at the time but was shivering once I'd stopped at the Moot Hall. BUt it was cold in Keswick! We were travelling at a resonable pace - 7 hours 10 miutes from Wasdale to the finish. I was feeling strong through out there but was worried for the rest of the DPFR contenders as I know they were likely to be out in it for longer than I had been, No need though - they are all as hard as nails and kept cruising on..

Debs and Stu who supported Leg 4 only had short shorts on their legs where a bit red, but they insited they were ok. what I didn't realise until afterwards was that Helen, my wife who supported me on legs 4+5 only had a pertex on and was a bit cold...I had other things on mind at the time.