Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Mileage Weeks

High Mileage Weeks

What's the largest mileage that anyone has done in a week? I was just thinking of seeing what my body can cope with before it destructs.
    Generally going nowhere fast.

Re: High Mileage Weeks

Well I've done 100 miles in one go - does that count? Didn't do much the rest of the week mind .... Actually it also wasn't all running, so don't think it does count.

Bit more serious - your body can possibly cope with anything, so long as you lead up to it gently enough. Or it can do a lot as a one off so long as you don't want to carry on as normal afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    What's the largest mileage that anyone has done in a week? I was just thinking of seeing what my body can cope with before it destructs.
    about 5 weeks ago I did about 96 mile and 30,000+ft, It sounds alot but most of the distance and climbing were at BG pace in scotland over 3.5 days,
    i did a 11 mile trail run and a 9 mile mile hilly run after I got home. I don't think I could have done this if it was all running. I think the bodies ability to go on is dependant on the load you put on it. Long and slow for me is easier to recover from than a short and fast esp if it's on road.

That's a difficult question for somebody else to answer for you. Personally I used to be able to knock out 70-75 a week fairly consistently, but if I tried going over 80 for more than 1 week every 6 or so, then I crashed with niggly aches and colds. I think you need to try it out and see, and accept that you might get it wrong once in a while. I have done back to back 100 mile weeks, but that was all just steady running - no intensity training.

This guy seems to do a lot of miles:
    Anton Krupicka

works for him too as he seems to place 1st in most races
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t:

yes , it seems our minds are the limiting factor and not our bodies. i agree IanDP, it does seem a good run but with undoubtably years of good fells behind you it is acheivable. I am re-reading Johnathan Livingston Seagull as inspiration .

My training is not really fellrunning geared since it's an hour away to the Peak District and the nearest proper hills. I'm sure my mileage would be completely different if I could run in the hills every day. I tend to tick over at 60-80 miles a week, and try to drop that significantly for 1 week in 4.

Checking my diary for this year, the most I've ever done is 130 miles in a week in the build up to my BG attempt. But that was including 4 days up in the lakes, running legs of the BG then running back to the start, so would have been a slow pace.

Leading up to Amsterdam marathon last year and London marathon I was doing 80-100 a week, which would have mostly been at a fair pace and on the flat or only slightly undulating.

I tend to find I get a lot of niggles when doing under 30 miles a week, but a few more miles and these start to disappear.

I think what you can sustain depends on what type of surface and gradient you run on, but also a lot must depend on your pace. Elite marathon runners may do 130-150 miles a week, but since their training pace is much faster they won't be spending anyway near as much time on their feet for the same distance run as average runners.

Good point Steve, i always forget that most people tend to spend less time training than me , merely because they run faster. I appreciate what you say about flat miles and hills etc.

A important point of note is recovery. Without R and R noone can sustain large mileage. Elite marathon runners who do 130-150 miles a week, mostly sit about eating healthily, hydrating, having massage and watching daytime tv.

Normally I have no more than 6-7hrs sleep, but in a heavy training week i'll find i need to up this to 8-9hrs.