Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Mileage Weeks

Re: High Mileage Weeks

My top week was 115 miles back in 1999. Did 107 back in January this year whilst nursing a blister that had become an open wound that required certain shoes which I couldn't realistically run for more than an hour in so I did it in 16 sessions !! Normally tick over at 75-80 miles a week though. Agree re extra long runs at slow pace they are easier to recover from than shorter (ie marathon) at race pace.
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Top week for me has been 100 miles in marathon build-up. Ticking over is around 50 mile weeks, long race build-up (road or fell) averages high 60s/low 70s. As someone else said, one week in every four I try to seriously back off so a typical cycle would be something like 62/66/70/45-50. Below around 35 mile weeks I'm not comfortable...the rare times I've done that, I've compensated with a lot of swimming or cycling. Biggest problem isn't the miles but finding the time and managing quality of recovery. When the mileage goes up over 60, I tend to run twice a day at least 2/3 times a week which actually improves the quality of many sessions.

"Hats off" to alot of you guys...the figures mentioned here are a real eye opener.Having only started to run/race in 2006,then had year off last year (to play golf of all things semi serious) and just getting back into running this year.It is this kind of thread that gives you food for thought in terms of what can be done.Thanks
    In reflection i think i might have to "up" my 10-15 mile a week current programme

A few things to remember. I've been at it for a few years (34) and my body seems to tolerate high mileage better than most.

PS now in heavy mileage mode as I build for an ultra next month. Last two weeks have been 101.5 and 108.8 this week will only be about 90ish I'm taking Friday off !!

Just out of interest, as a bit of a beginner myself running about 30 miles a week. How do you lot break down your training mileage if you are doing say 70-100 miles a week? e.g is it lots of 15mile runs or shorter runs during the week and then an extra long run at the weekend?

It can vary according to races etc but the Monday to Friday bits stays the same more or less.

Monday 45 minutes at lunchtime 60 minutes after work
    Tuesday 35 minutes at lunchtime club interval session on grass (run to and from)
    Wednesday 45 minutes at lunchtime 90 minutes after work
    Thursday 35 minutes at lunchtime club interval session on track (run to and from)
    Friday 45 minutes at lunchtime 60 minutes after work

Last weekend was

Saturday 90 minutes
    Sunday 3 hours

Today 60 minutes with probably about 4 hours tomorrow.