Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running in Greece

Running in Greece

I'm off for a holiday on the island of Lesbos in mid August; this is right in the middle of training for my first ultra. I want to be able to get some serious miles/time on feet in and would like to do it off road.

So my question is does anyone out there in the all knowing world of the FRA forums know where I can get hold of a decent map of the island? I will go and google now but I thought this might be a useful place to ask.

Cheers - Raymond

Re: Running in Greece

You have to be careful running on Greece- It can be very slippy!!!!

(Swoop will love that!)
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

I'm been on holiday to many parts of Greece, almost every year for the past 25 so have done a fair amount of off road running there, albeit in and around the various resorts. You'll probably be able to get road maps on-line but to get anything with a smaller scale including tracks and non-tarmac roads its best to try a supermarket or tourist shop when you get there. Even then don't hold out for accuracy or anything and you're very unlikely to get anything at all like OS.

R.H. You should try PM'ing ydt ( Yiannis Tridimas ). He's the authority on Greece and a real gent.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Hickman View Post
    I'm off for a holiday on the island of Lesbos in mid August; this is right in the middle of training for my first ultra. I want to be able to get some serious miles/time on feet in and would like to do it off road.

So my question is does anyone out there in the all knowing world of the FRA forums know where I can get hold of a decent map of the island? I will go and google now but I thought this might be a useful place to ask.

Cheers - Raymond
    Raymond you could try looking for a Bleasdale walkng book/map for Lesbos I have one which we used on Paxos and it's not too bad it shows off road routes otherwise as Stolly says you could struggle to find one,
    Hope this helps .
    my nose runs faster than my feet.
    www.ukfellponies.org.uk

two toenails

Try this link
    http://www.stanfords.co.uk/go/lesbos/walking/

Sunflower books are ideal for walkers and runners.

One of the few Greek Islands we haven't got a Sunflower book for.

I knew you lot wouldn't let me down.

Cheers - Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Hickman View Post

Cheers - Raymond
    Raymond,
    You can try: http://www.themapshop.co.uk/europe/rest/greece.htm
    they have a couple of maps for Lesbos but, speaking from experience (as my good friend Wheezing Donkey suggests) you will be able to get those maps in Lesbos also.
    There are no Greek maps of OS standard but I have often used whatever maps I could find for the island of Andros (where I come from) and had no problem, they show the terrain quite well. What they do not show is the multitude of fences around various properties, so you will have to improvise a bit. High up on the hills there should be no problem. Lesbos is quite big and has hills much higher than you can find in the UK so you can get good hill training.
    No need for fell shoes. Any old trainers will do. Mountain vegetation is rough gorse, so you will need to be careful. Wear decent socks to soak up the sweat and protect your feet. If it is windy, as it is usually in the summer, take extra clothing with you, it can be quite cold a couple of thousand feet up.
    Any more?
    Enjoy your trip.
    Yiannis

Im off to Lemnos on saturday and need to keep my training up for the european mountain running champs. anyone know what the running/hills are like out there??
    "I train very hard, until I am sick. Sometimes I train like a foolish man who has no mind." -Hicham el-Guerrouj

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    You have to be careful running on Greece- It can be very slippy!!!!

(Swoop will love that!)

thought that was the crap you put ont yee hair.. helps yee go like greece lightning
    penguins happy feet :w00t: