Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running in Greece

Re: Running in Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Bant View Post
    Im off to Lemnos on saturday and need to keep my training up for the european mountain running champs. anyone know what the running/hills are like out there??

some are tall some are small others are not so big but the bar may be tall.. after yee fall
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Raymond,
    You can try: http://www.themapshop.co.uk/europe/rest/greece.htm
    they have a couple of maps for Lesbos but, speaking from experience (as my good friend Wheezing Donkey suggests) you will be able to get those maps in Lesbos also.
    There are no Greek maps of OS standard but I have often used whatever maps I could find for the island of Andros (where I come from) and had no problem, they show the terrain quite well. What they do not show is the multitude of fences around various properties, so you will have to improvise a bit. High up on the hills there should be no problem. Lesbos is quite big and has hills much higher than you can find in the UK so you can get good hill training.
    No need for fell shoes. Any old trainers will do. Mountain vegetation is rough gorse, so you will need to be careful. Wear decent socks to soak up the sweat and protect your feet. If it is windy, as it is usually in the summer, take extra clothing with you, it can be quite cold a couple of thousand feet up.
    Any more?
    Enjoy your trip.
    Yiannis
    Thanks very much for the above. I've been to Lesbos before, so I know about the hills (mountains surely?), but I wasn't a runner then. I'm really looking forward to getting out and about somewhere very different from and warmer than my native South Downs.

Cheers - Raymond

anyone run much on rhodes, off to lindos in september and have to keep the wheels turning!
    phil