Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy jogging

Heavy jogging

Quote from today's Daily Fail 'Heavy joggers are as likely to die as those leading a sedentary life'

I'm up to 8 a week now, got me worried this, perhaps I need to take it smoking, it's probably safer 😊

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz3QfyoqwRM
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I had a look at my son's list for his paper round. Of the 15 papers he delivers in the morning 8 of them are the Daily Mail. I think I need to move away from this area.

I assumed everybody dies eventually!

But being serious there is just so much junk medical reports being produced these days. My wife is medically trained and years ago there was a recommendation to cut the top and bottom 2 cm off carrots are they are poisonus. My wife was appaled when I said I was going to ignore the advice. I am still around!!
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 03-02-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Would you be ok if you went running rather than jogging?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

At what weight does one become a "heavy"jogger I am just under 12st , am I in danger?

Only if you also eat the tops and bottoms of carrots, I've heard that they're poisonous :-)

Oh dear !

Didn't a study last year show that absolutely flat-out sprinting was the best for you? How about heavy sprinters?

what about heavy petting??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I've not actually seen the paper so always pretty doubtful how accurate the papers are..

But one I saw mentioned extremely low n values for this sort of study..

But anyway it's not surprising tbh, what they considered a lot was surprising but I'd expect those who do high miles over a long period to have elevated risks at a number of diseases/conditions.. But I also think there are likely to be many confounding factors such as alcohol and diet.. how much runners especially will eat and drink because they deserved it, yet in reality consume far more calories and not great food types..

But regardless of that you'd expect the long term bouts of oxidative damage to eventually have an effect, plus issues surrounding the heart muscle and heart rhythm issues.

It's amazing that the DM always trot out the case of Jim Fixx whenever they talk about how bad running is for you, not taking into account that had he not started running that he would probably have died far sooner due to predisposed heart problems