Thread: Shoes for Snowdon

Shoes for Snowdon

I am running Snowdon Mountain Race next month and wondered what the consensus was on footwear. I have Inov8 Mudclaws and Terrocs - neither of which I fancy wearing (mudclaws - low on cushioning for the downhill, Terrocs - not enough grip). Has anyone tried the Inov8 Roclite 282? They're billed as an ultra shoe with more support. Any ideas?

Re: Shoes for Snowdon

Quote Originally Posted by Tufty View Post
    I am running Snowdon Mountain Race next month and wondered what the consensus was on footwear. I have Inov8 Mudclaws and Terrocs - neither of which I fancy wearing (mudclaws - low on cushioning for the downhill, Terrocs - not enough grip). Has anyone tried the Inov8 Roclite 282? They're billed as an ultra shoe with more support. Any ideas?
    Have a look at the New Balance 800's - awesome!
    Great across all but the worst mud and steepest slopes. Cushioning is excellent and the grip much better than it looks. Comfort is great too.
    7hr outings in these shoes and no worries. Loads of pairs at our local club (DPFR). Great inthe mountains to the fells. Good on wet rock and just so comfy.
    www.accelerateuk.com

Wore terrocs for this race 2 years running no problems, no blisters, plenty of grip and cushioning. most people just wear road shoes though

I wore a old pair of adidas "offroad" trainers last year which have a quite chunky tread but are still fine on the road, however if it's dry like last year I'm most likely going to wear road shoes.

ive run this race a few times, if its dry road shoes cld do, or something like terroc's, salomons trail shoes etc. unless its has been or is chucking it down, you shouldnt need too much grip, like a walsh/mudclaw etc, altho, some people do wear them, just be careful of the scree/loose rocks on way down. i think theres only one bit of grass, and thats cutting a corner on your way down and isnt much.

Not done this one, but walked up yesterday from Pen-y-pass then down the Llanberis track, wearing Mizuno Wave Harriers. Found it really loose under foot on that descent to Llanberis. Don't envy you having to run down that path .
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Hi, sorry, only just looked at the messages. Thanks for the advice - sounds like i'd get away with what I've got although I like the sound of the new balance 800's. Also heard some good reviews about the Mizuno Wave Harrier. Tried the Inov8 282 since posting the message but found them a bit bulky! Cheers all

Quote Originally Posted by Tufty View Post
    Hi, sorry, only just looked at the messages. Thanks for the advice - sounds like i'd get away with what I've got although I like the sound of the new balance 800's. Also heard some good reviews about the Mizuno Wave Harrier. Tried the Inov8 282 since posting the message but found them a bit bulky! Cheers all
    Ran this race twice and if dry would go with the 282 - bulky? I found them very light and responsive. Bre prepared to bin any shoe you wear though - feet will be on fire and little or no grip left!!