Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physio, Osteo or Witch Doctor?

Physio, Osteo or Witch Doctor?

I've been coping with a sudden, sharp, makes-me-yelp, lower back pain for about 3 weeks now that's not going away. It's like someone has silently sneaked up behind me, and shoved a stiletto blade into my right side! It's not the old, usual, familiar backache I've had for years, which comes and goes, and is managed fairly well by yoga stretches, etc.. No, this is something nastier, I think.

Anyway, my partner is now totally fed-up with my piercing exclamations and associated blasphemous utterances, which can erupt once or twice a day, whenever the silent ninja decides to give me a stabbing. Reluctantly, I've conceded that it's time to get some professional opinion on the issue. But from which professional group? It'll be private as our GP is snowed under.
    Am Yisrael Chai

I'd start with a chiropractor, personally.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I'd start with a chiropractor, personally.
    Thanks - I'll explore that possibility too.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Get an MRI if you can, and get a printout of the slice of your whole spine down the middle so people can see the curvature and bone positions. A front/back slice in other words.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Hijacking this thread but my physio came out with the revelation today that I should heel strike when running uphill. I don't think she really knows what we fell runners mean by 'uphill'. Perhaps we have a tendency to understate but surely we get 10% plus gradient cannot be run on anything but your toes!
    Should I get a new physio?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Hijacking this thread but my physio came out with the revelation today that I should heel strike when running uphill. I don't think she really knows what we fell runners mean by 'uphill'. Perhaps we have a tendency to understate but surely we get 10% plus gradient cannot be run on anything but your toes!
    Not until you have shot a sideways-on video of you doing reverse hand springs.

If you perform them well you would be running on the spot.

Unless you turn round - then you could ascend the hill whilst running backwards.

Whatever - it will certainly be a sight to see and keep
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 31-01-2024 at 12:28 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

If its an NHS, i wouldn't have bothered in the first place. For what reason anyway?

Flat-footed uphill just puts too much strain on your feet/calves/lower leg.

I always tell people who are trying it out, to get on their toes as much as possible right from the start.

Issue is most people haven't got the calf strength to get up steep hills on their toes either.

As one of my club colleagues once said "run on your balls". The balls of your feet. And that's the same uphill.

For me, it about all those springy tendons and connective tissue. You need to load them to then get the resulting little spring in each step.

Yes, they may be a good physio but they clearly don't understand running so are not giving you good advice