Page 77 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Injuries

Re: Todays Injuries

A bloody wasp sting on my eye lid, which now I can hardly see out of - my eye now looks like I have taken a running punch from Lennox Lewis!!

Not easy to deal with when riding a bike round the corner of a building at work!:w00t:
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    knee pain - lateral (outside) side. seems my ITB aint liking my mileage or the rough ground - not high, just too high and rough for my soft london legs. lots of REST coming up, oh, and strengthening my gluts and left psoas which is way too weak. and my knee is more clicky now....quads to be worked on as well.
    pleased to report I've been out on 2 runs this week with no knee/itb pain. I've returned back to doing low mileage on the road just to get strength and fitness back up and when I'm sure there's no residual injury in there I'll start with the same strategy off-road. ran 4km Tues and 5km yesterday. when I say ran, I am doing run/walk. think I felt fresher yesterday after 5km than I ever did. I certainly could have run/walked for a fair bit further but as I'm in slow rehab I'm taking it slow.

Does anyone else do the run/walk strategy?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    pleased to report I've been out on 2 runs this week with no knee/itb pain. I've returned back to doing low mileage on the road just to get strength and fitness back up and when I'm sure there's no residual injury in there I'll start with the same strategy off-road. ran 4km Tues and 5km yesterday. when I say ran, I am doing run/walk. think I felt fresher yesterday after 5km than I ever did. I certainly could have run/walked for a fair bit further but as I'm in slow rehab I'm taking it slow.

Does anyone else do the run/walk strategy?
    I have done 2mins run/2 mins walk etc up a long continuous hill in the Alps - for 9km or so - I have walked past people who were still running, but presumably they had different aims from me. This approach should be more gentle on injuries for a given distance, but may be no better than just covering a shorter distance, and running all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I have done 2mins run/2 mins walk etc up a long continuous hill in the Alps - for 9km or so - I have walked past people who were still running, but presumably they had different aims from me. This approach should be more gentle on injuries for a given distance, but may be no better than just covering a shorter distance, and running all of it.
    I read about walk breaks in Jeff Galloway's 'Book on Running' - from what I gather, he suggests they are useful for longer distances because you vary muscle use by including some walking - so you'll conserve running resources for longer. there's various ratios he gives, though doesn't prescribe any specifics as there are so many variables. what he does say is to take a walk break before you need one, even in the first mile, to receive max benefits. I was interested in the run/walk strategy to increase fitness both at the start of learning to run and returning from injury.
    my most recent run was a distance of 5km in just over 32 mins, which to say its only the second run I've done in a month due to knee/itb issues is pretty much the pace I was running pre-injury. I did 2 mins run, 1 min walk and overall pace was 6:10 min/km. tbh I'm impressed with that given I walked about 12 or 13 minutes of the 32.
    Galloway claims that in a survey of vet marathon runners they improved their time by 13 mins when putting walk breaks in a marathon run. that's quite an increase.
    he says that the short distances you walk will almost always be recovered at the end, because you run faster as your legs are fresher. I know on my last run I could have kept going longer, but because I'm rehabing I'm sticking to no more than 10% increase every week.

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    A bloody wasp sting on my eye lid, which now I can hardly see out of - my eye now looks like I have taken a running punch from Lennox Lewis!!

Not easy to deal with when riding a bike round the corner of a building at work!:w00t:
    I was out on the bike yesterday morning near where we’re staying in south Devon. I was hit in the face by a flying insect and almost immediately realised I’d been stung. I think I pulled out a sting which was a good thing as I also thought I might have swallowed the insect. I made it back to the cottage in about 15 minutes by which time my lower lip was swollen, and Mrs Marvin immediately prescribed Piriton. After 30 minutes and a shower, the area from my lip to my jaw was starting to swell up, and after 45 we were on our way to the minor injuries unit at the “local” cottage hospital. When we arrived the nurse took one look at me, called an ambulance ready to transfer me to a hospital in Plymouth, and drew up a syringe of adrenaline. This was all starting to seem a bit serious!
    The transfer wasn’t deemed necessary if I responded to the adrenaline, so they proceeded with the treatment. Mrs Marvin spotted that the paramedic had his shears out ready to cut my trousers off for the intramuscular jab, but got them down quick enough to avoid that – it seems they were quite concerned for my wellbeing. After the adrenaline, the swelling started to go down, and after observing me for a couple of hours, I was allowed to go. All in all a rather more exciting Sunday than we planned!

Today, it's a bit sore still, but otherwise, no ill effects.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I was out on the bike yesterday morning near where we’re staying in south Devon. I was hit in the face by a flying insect and almost immediately realised I’d been stung. I think I pulled out a sting which was a good thing as I also thought I might have swallowed the insect. I made it back to the cottage in about 15 minutes by which time my lower lip was swollen, and Mrs Marvin immediately prescribed Piriton. After 30 minutes and a shower, the area from my lip to my jaw was starting to swell up, and after 45 we were on our way to the minor injuries unit at the “local” cottage hospital. When we arrived the nurse took one look at me, called an ambulance ready to transfer me to a hospital in Plymouth, and drew up a syringe of adrenaline. This was all starting to seem a bit serious!
    The transfer wasn’t deemed necessary if I responded to the adrenaline, so they proceeded with the treatment. Mrs Marvin spotted that the paramedic had his shears out ready to cut my trousers off for the intramuscular jab, but got them down quick enough to avoid that – it seems they were quite concerned for my wellbeing. After the adrenaline, the swelling started to go down, and after observing me for a couple of hours, I was allowed to go. All in all a rather more exciting Sunday than we planned!

Today, it's a bit sore still, but otherwise, no ill effects.
    Interesting. Was the swelling just where you were stung? Presumably you were not wheezy or breathless, and your blood pressure was checked and was fine?

The swelling originated from where I was stung, but much more extreme than I've ever experienced with a sting, BP checked many times and varied a bit, but OK. A bit of wheezing, but not serious. It was an allergic reaction rather than anaphylaxis. I think the they were worried about my airway being compromised given the proximity of the swelling.

Well after a frustrating day I decided a quick balst on the MTB before tea would see me right. All good until I decided to sprint on an inoccuous looking bit of grass. I lost my front wheel and decked it shouler/head first. Cracked my helmet, skinned my shoulder and have what feels like broken ribs. All in the first day of the first week of summer holidays.

Master

[QUOTE=Marvin;425439]The swelling originated from where I was stung, but much more extreme than I've ever experienced with a sting, BP checked many times and varied a bit, but OK. A bit of wheezing, but not serious. It was an allergic reaction rather than anaphylaxis. I think the they were worried about my airway being compromised given the proximity of the swelling.

Do you normally wheeze? Was the wheeze louder breathing out or breathing in? This is important as if this was in fact mild anaphylaxis then it may be worse the next time you are stung, and you may need to carry your own supply of adrenaline.

I heard that as well Mike. Often the first exposure to whatever triggers anaphylaxis can have little or no reaction, and it's the second time that produces a major reaction. Well worth making sure as it could certainly be life threatening if you were out in the middle of nowhere and didn't have any adrenaline.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter