Page 78 of 88 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Injuries

Re: Todays Injuries

[QUOTE=Mike T;425489]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    The swelling originated from where I was stung, but much more extreme than I've ever experienced with a sting, BP checked many times and varied a bit, but OK. A bit of wheezing, but not serious. It was an allergic reaction rather than anaphylaxis. I think the they were worried about my airway being compromised given the proximity of the swelling.

Do you normally wheeze? Was the wheeze louder breathing out or breathing in? This is important as if this was in fact mild anaphylaxis then it may be worse the next time you are stung, and you may need to carry your own supply of adrenaline.
    That's interesting Mike. I was aware that allergic reactions could be more severe with subsequent triggers, but didn't know that anaphylaxis could develop in the same way.

The paramedic's report says "Airway - self maintained - no airway compromise throughout. Breathing - rate 12 per minute regular. Slight bilateral lower lobe inspiratory wheeze - otherwise N.A.D. Sats on air 97% throughout."

I have exercise-induced asthma, and had a period of about a month earlier this year when I was experiencing asthma attacks without the exercise and I now use a brown inhaler (light brown, 1 puff twice a day - can't remember what dose that is) which brought the asthma under control. I wasn't aware of the wheeze - the paramedic listened to it with a stethoscope.

Back to my old 'favourite' calf pull - a week or so off for me now and sadly no Round Hill race on sunday

Master

[QUOTE=Marvin;425833]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    That's interesting Mike. I was aware that allergic reactions could be more severe with subsequent triggers, but didn't know that anaphylaxis could develop in the same way.

The paramedic's report says "Airway - self maintained - no airway compromise throughout. Breathing - rate 12 per minute regular. Slight bilateral lower lobe inspiratory wheeze - otherwise N.A.D. Sats on air 97% throughout."

I have exercise-induced asthma, and had a period of about a month earlier this year when I was experiencing asthma attacks without the exercise and I now use a brown inhaler (light brown, 1 puff twice a day - can't remember what dose that is) which brought the asthma under control. I wasn't aware of the wheeze - the paramedic listened to it with a stethoscope.
    I suspect this was a toxic reaction, in other words a normal reaction to a sting, rather than allergy, and that the amount of swelling was because the tissues of the face/neck swell up a lot at the slightest provocation. It is however difficult to be sure that it was not mild anaphylaxis. Try to avoid future stings - I realize this is stating the obvious - no one goes out with the intention of being stung!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I was out on the bike yesterday morning near where we’re staying in south Devon. I was hit in the face by a flying insect and almost immediately realised I’d been stung. I think I pulled out a sting which was a good thing as I also thought I might have swallowed the insect. I made it back to the cottage in about 15 minutes by which time my lower lip was swollen, and Mrs Marvin immediately prescribed Piriton. After 30 minutes and a shower, the area from my lip to my jaw was starting to swell up, and after 45 we were on our way to the minor injuries unit at the “local” cottage hospital. When we arrived the nurse took one look at me, called an ambulance ready to transfer me to a hospital in Plymouth, and drew up a syringe of adrenaline. This was all starting to seem a bit serious!
    The transfer wasn’t deemed necessary if I responded to the adrenaline, so they proceeded with the treatment. Mrs Marvin spotted that the paramedic had his shears out ready to cut my trousers off for the intramuscular jab, but got them down quick enough to avoid that – it seems they were quite concerned for my wellbeing. After the adrenaline, the swelling started to go down, and after observing me for a couple of hours, I was allowed to go. All in all a rather more exciting Sunday than we planned!

Today, it's a bit sore still, but otherwise, no ill effects.
    Just seen this Andy, Hope all is well....

A cut hand yesterday from slipping on a rain slick limestone slab while running round the 3 peaks during a thunderstorm

Its funny how the actual race in April always seems to be run in bone dry, drought like conditions!

Looks sore and muddy Stolly, hope it healed ok.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    A cut hand yesterday from slipping on a rain slick limestone slab while running round the 3 peaks during a thunderstorm

Its funny how the actual race in April always seems to be run in bone dry, drought like conditions!
    I now wear gloves all the time, unless it is really hot and I am going up hill .... then I carry them and put them on at the top.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    I also wear a baseball cap - I hate the look of the things, but they keep the rain off my glasses and - if tight/well fitted, do make it a bit less likely your face will hit the deck.

I now wear gloves all the time, unless it is really hot and I am going up hill .... then I carry them and put them on at the top.
    I also wear a baseball cap - I hate the look of the things, but they keep the rain off my glasses and - if tight/well fitted, do make it a bit less likely your face will hit the deck.
    Ha! Ditto and Ditto! Although I mainly wear a hat to stop sweat and/or rain running into my eyes as the sweatband in the hat absorbs it to a certain extent. Gloves I usually wear fingerless weight training gloves if I'm going over rough ground where putting a hand down might result in a skinned palm.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter