Page 85 of 88 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Injuries

Re: Todays Injuries

Quote Originally Posted by smoggy View Post
    Ditto. Out training with Esk Valley lads around Roseberry Topping last night and bang goes the calf again. 4 weeks rest since it last went clearly not long enough. At least fellrunner mag has just arrived to ease my pain.
    Hi Smoggy,
    apart from resting (which is great, rather than trying to run through an injury) have you done anything else to rehab your calf?
    Lynne

RICE for first 3 days after sustaining injury. Complete rest week 1. Introduced mountain biking week 2. Walking and cycling in Cairngorms week 3. Rest plus one circuit training session week 4. Built up exercise very carefully without any noticeable problems to calf. Went out for very gentle run on Tuesday and calf started niggling on an uphill section 30 mins into run. Stopped immediately and went for Guinness and read of Fellrunner mag in the local.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    Hi Smoggy,
    apart from resting (which is great, rather than trying to run through an injury) have you done anything else to rehab your calf?
    Lynne
    Here's another repetitive calf strain suffererer who has just spent a fortune on some calf guards that I wouldn't dare wear in daylight or company
    Running ok at the moment but feel like I'm on borrowed time so any magic suggestions from Lynne would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by smoggy View Post
    RICE for first 3 days after sustaining injury. Complete rest week 1. Introduced mountain biking week 2. Walking and cycling in Cairngorms week 3. Rest plus one circuit training session week 4. Built up exercise very carefully without any noticeable problems to calf. Went out for very gentle run on Tuesday and calf started niggling on an uphill section 30 mins into run. Stopped immediately and went for Guinness and read of Fellrunner mag in the local.
    Sounds like you've been sensible in building back up gradually. other things to consider - using a foam roller - helps to keep muscles/soft tissues pliable, in good general health and improve circulation - all factors in rehab and general maintenance of soft tissues. also, and yes I'm biased as it's my job, but seeing a good soft tissue therapist may be needed if your rest/gradual build up hasn't got the issue sorted. sometimes there's scar tissue that builds up with injury and just doesn't go without intervention, (and whatever claims those knobbly foam rollers shout about, they cannot replace the subtle touch and manipulation that a therapists hands can do) that can lead to less efficient or incorrect biomechanics, there could be muscle imbalances, muscles not firing correctly, gait issues. lots of things could be causal factors and a good therapist will be able to identify those and through soft tissue manipulation, and giving you advice/rehab strategies, help you get back to fitness.
    hope that helps, finding a therapist who is a runner (ideally a fell runner) can be very beneficial too!
    Lynne

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
    Here's another repetitive calf strain suffererer who has just spent a fortune on some calf guards that I wouldn't dare wear in daylight or company
    Running ok at the moment but feel like I'm on borrowed time so any magic suggestions from Lynne would be appreciated!
    Hi Lyndon,
    My reply to Smoggy I've just posted should give you a few ideas. I'd be interested to see what calf guards you wear - what type are they? generally compression type items are good for helping with circulation and recovery generally but in my opinion they shouldn't be worn long term to essentially mask an injury. the cause needs to be found so that you can get it fixed for the long term. if you don't get the cause identified and fixed then the issue will keep coming back (which it seems to be doing with you), and long term that will cause more and more damage to your soft tissues, leaving you vulnerable to greater injury and ultimately less time running.
    I'd recommend you go see someone local, who is recommended by other runners. sadly the body is not like a car, we can't take out a muscle and put a new one in like a piece of an engine that's faulty. the other thing to remember is that all of our bits in our body are connected.....fascia is the stuff that links everything - have a read of this so you understand what I mean: http://globaltherapies.wordpress.com...anating-stuff/
    hope that helps, shout if you have any questions.
    Lynne

Well, after today's 14 mile trot around the snow-blown wastes of Cambridgeshire, over mud, snow, snowdrifts and snowdrift camouflaged mud I appear to have collected a twinge in my left foot's arch/big toe. Painful? Slightly. Enough to stop running? No. I do want to find out what's causing it though.

The tightness in my upper quads/groin is just an annoyance right now. All it needs is a bit of stretching.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    Hi Lyndon,
    My reply to Smoggy I've just posted should give you a few ideas. I'd be interested to see what calf guards you wear - what type are they? generally compression type items are good for helping with circulation and recovery generally but in my opinion they shouldn't be worn long term to essentially mask an injury. the cause needs to be found so that you can get it fixed for the long term. if you don't get the cause identified and fixed then the issue will keep coming back (which it seems to be doing with you), and long term that will cause more and more damage to your soft tissues, leaving you vulnerable to greater injury and ultimately less time running.
    I'd recommend you go see someone local, who is recommended by other runners. sadly the body is not like a car, we can't take out a muscle and put a new one in like a piece of an engine that's faulty. the other thing to remember is that all of our bits in our body are connected.....fascia is the stuff that links everything - have a read of this so you understand what I mean: http://globaltherapies.wordpress.com...anating-stuff/
    hope that helps, shout if you have any questions.
    Lynne
    Thanks Lynne,
    I went for compressport and, so far, all good. I've got insertional achilles issues in my left heel and its the right calf that pulls so I think I'm compensating with my right side for the weakness in my left (my theory).
    The right soleus muscle is noticeably tighter than the left so I'm working on loosening it up with rolling, stretching and sports massage when I can afford it.
    Makes me sound like a right old crock but its amazing what you learn about the body when you get an injury!

Lyndon

Put my back out today, that'll be a lot if tedious stretching and a lot of quite enjoyable cycling for the near future then.
    pies

My shin was causing not inconsiderable pain from the beginning of what was supposed to be a 20 miler. I sat down and thought about calling it a day, but after a tentative prod at the painful area and a bit of a massage, it felt a lot better. 20 miles later and no noticeable problem...

Injuries are weird.

Back update

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrggggyhghhghhtyygghhgttghhhggtttgghhp fttumphmppp

pies