Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 377785868788 LastLast

Thread: Today's Injuries

Yesterday I had my left shoulder surgery and on coming round in the recovery room found myself being attended to by a very nice nurse, having a dry throat and an embarrassingly very firm stiffy which would not go away!

Having had a cervical nerve root block in my neck I had a left arm that was totally numb and over which I have had no control until a couple of hours ago, 18hrs after surgery.

Speaking to my surgeon afterwards the good news is that the arthroscopic subacromial decompression and arthroscopic arthrolysis he carried out were successful and that there are no tears or damage to muscles.

The not so good news is that there is evidence of arthritis in the joint which will probably result in me needing a new shoulder in the future! He advises that ideally this would not be until I am 70 as it is a procedure that really should only be done once. I therefore need to manage the shoulder and this means no heavy work above shoulder height so my hedge cutting/pruning days are done.

I have had my sling off this morning and done a few exercise and can feel I have more range of movement already. My first physiotherapy appointment is tomorrow.

I should be able to jog next week and cycle in a fortnight providing the range of movement causes no pain.

Onwards and upwards!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Good news LB. I hope it all continues to go well.

Master
    That improved range of movement sounds good but take it gently!

Great stuff.... but no handstands for a few days.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I hadn't realised that your injury was so severe, Llani -- "left arm that was totally numb" -- anyway, I hope you are back in action soon.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Pleased for you LB all the best
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I hadn't realised that your injury was so severe, Llani -- "left arm that was totally numb" -- anyway, I hope you are back in action soon.
    The arm wasn't numb before surgery, AK, just for 18hrs after the nerve root block injection prior to surgery.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    The arm wasn't numb before surgery, AK, just for 18hrs after the nerve root block injection prior to surgery.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.
    If Wales win the 6 Nations tonight, just take it easy on the fist-pumping and cartwheels

Hope there's more movement today (that's in your arm, not tonight's game!).
    Am Yisrael Chai

A full week after shoulder surgery and things are pretty good. Still sore but I have got much more range of movement than I had prior to having it done.

Last Thursday, Friday and Saturday, apart from the exercises I was given, I took it easy mainly watching rugby and cycling on TV.

Sunday a 4 mile walk, Monday 5 miles, Tuesday 6 miles and this afternoon 9 miles. This morning I went back to the hospital to see the Physiotherapist and she is pleased with my progress and did a bit of manipulation. I've got a few new exercises to do before I return next week.

The only negative is that when I asked her if I could start jogging, her brow furrowed and I got a look which needed no words to go with it!

She explained, and it all made sense, that if I tried to run, the natural movement of the arm/shoulder and the associated jolting would cause inflammation in the area and set the healing process back which is the last thing I want.

My plan now is to heed her advice and not think about running until May but vastly increase the walking and recce some routes, highlighted on here by others, like the Kinder Killer, Kinder Dozen and the Gritstone Anytime Challenge with a view of giving them a go later in the year.

I've also set myself two realistic challenges for the Autumn, the Cambrian Coast Sportive in September and the Y3P's, if I can get an entry.

Onwards and Upwards.

not so much today but thought I might give an update why I've not been around much lately.
    going into Lockdown I developed bone spurs on my talus which has made running very painful, I was going through the process to have them ground off when my surgeon pointed out after an MRI that I have very little cartilage in my ankle joints. this was certainly adding to my pain.

So at that point my illustrious running career came to a bit of an abrupt end...thats it...so i'm afraid im now a retired runner.

I can still walk but I'll not be eyeballs out in any races any more. it was good while it lasted...