Thread: Weight loss/race times?

Weight loss/race times?

One for the panel.

Last night i ran Aggies and came 30th in a time of 36.08. Shouldve been 27th but i had to stop and tie me lace and this cost me 10 secs (excuses i know...)

Anyway-i weigh in this morning at 15st 7lbs. Someone once advised me that at 6'2 inches i should be about 12st 7lbs.

So what difference would 3st lost make in terms of time?

The winner ran 28mins sommat? Now im not suggesting i would be there but is there a formula that could predict my time?

Also-if i could drop 3st over night with super fast liposuction would i be over trained? My body is trained (i use the term loosely..) to drag 15st 7lbs up hills,so if i could drop the weight over night i would be a speed demon eh?

This sounds like one of Jamies daft threads...

Opinions please?
    Still too heavy to run

Re: Weight loss/race times?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Baz View Post
    One for the panel.

Last night i ran Aggies and came 30th in a time of 36.08. Shouldve been 27th but i had to stop and tie me lace and this cost me 10 secs (excuses i know...)

Anyway-i weigh in this morning at 15st 7lbs. Someone once advised me that at 6'2 inches i should be about 12st 7lbs.

So what difference would 3st lost make in terms of time?

The winner ran 28mins sommat? Now im not suggesting i would be there but is there a formula that could predict my time?

Also-if i could drop 3st over night with super fast liposuction would i be over trained? My body is trained (i use the term loosely..) to drag 15st 7lbs up hills,so if i could drop the weight over night i would be a speed demon eh?

Opinions please?
    15st 7 lbs you light weight
    try humping 17 and a bit round then you will be at 47 mins like me!
    interesting i would like to know as well, but well done Baz not bad time
    Going to try again....

It took me years to get rid of the stubborn 10-stone lump that was slowing me down.

In the end I had to give her half the house.

I seem to remember that its someting like 2 seconds per mile faster per pound lost.

So Baz if you lost your 3 stone that would be 84 seconds faster per mile so you'd have done the race last night approx 5 and a half mins faster.

I think there must be a limit to this though where you'd be too weak to run fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Fnstein View Post
    I seem to remember that its someting like 2 seconds per mile faster per pound lost.

So Baz if you lost your 3 stone that would be 84 seconds faster per mile so you'd have done the race last night approx 5 and a half mins faster.

I think there must be a limit to this though where you'd be too weak to run fast!
    Wow i would have won!!
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by Fnstein View Post
    I have heard this, but think it was calculated for road running. Weight should make more of an impact on the fells, so the time difference should be even greater.

I lost half a stone recently through catching a stomach bug, and managed to keep it off when I was better. I think I'm now about ten seconds a mile faster than before.

I think weight makes a difference. I'm a lightweight at "racing weight" of 9st 7 which given I'm male and 5ft10 makes me underweight. I ran the three peaks last year weighing 9st 10 and didn't have many problems. This year I dropped out and weighed 10st7 at the time. My coach said to me come back and run next year when I'm back under ten stone and run round with 4 bags of sugar and you'll get the idea of what extra you've been carrying . I'm not saying that everyone should be a scrawny thing like me but even to lose half a stone would probably make your times and subsequently places in races better. Again there are limits if you lose too much you end up losing muscle mass also which will decrease strength as said previously

I sure weight makes a difference - here are my times and weight for the same race over a few years

2003 - 57.48 - 16st
    2005 - 52.17 - 15st 7lbs
    2006 - 48.53 - 14st
    2007 - 41.41 - 13st 5lbs

I'm sure training also has alot to do with it to as my best improvement in time came 2006 -2007 when I upped the training and started racing more, but I only lost 9lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Baz View Post

Opinions please?
    Cheeky Fecker, they are not daft. My daft threads are the culmination of lots of thought and chewing over in my head.

Anyhow, am I on the this panel of yours?

Yeah I reckon you would improve until a point, then you would become weak and feeble. It happened to me when I went down to 11 stone, I looked gaunt and was knackered all the time. Im may have done it too quick like.

Also, you would not be happy cos you would not be on the curry and beer.

It shocks me how you drag that weight around the fells, and I have lots of admiration for you. (not really admiration but thats all I can think of at this moment in time).

But I would not say your a fat ba***ard, more stocky. A bit like Amex, tall and square.

Anyway Im off, hope that clears things up for you.
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 27-06-2008 at 03:50 PM.