Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do they do it?

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Why do they do it?

Why do the old, elderly & infirm insist on standing on the front line of a race?

At Blackstone Edge today & at Moel Eilio a few weeks ago the RO had problems getting the runners back to the starting line. This is only to be expected when a Brit/Eng counter has a quality field & the top runners are jockeying for position at a narrow start.

Most runners get into a position where they are among their peers -& then might try & knick a place or two - but why do some muppets who are totally outclassed stand at the front.

They obviously don't see the mayhem that they cause as better runners who were placed in a suitable position behind them have to negotiate their way around them.

Muppets, they deserve to be elbowed, tripped & run over.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Re: Why do they do it?

Just to really pee you off.

Tell me your next race and I ll come and do it myself.

I've got really pointy elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner View Post
    Why do the old, elderly & infirm insist on standing on the front line of a race?

At Blackstone Edge today & at Moel Eilio a few weeks ago the RO had problems getting the runners back to the starting line. This is only to be expected when a Brit/Eng counter has a quality field & the top runners are jockeying for position at a narrow start.

Most runners get into a position where they are among their peers -& then might try & knick a place or two - but why do some muppets who are totally outclassed stand at the front.

They obviously don't see the mayhem that they cause as better runners who were placed in a suitable position behind them have to negotiate their way around them.

Have a bad run today?

Quote Originally Posted by end View Post
    Have a bad run today?
    Had a stormer end, did you run yourself?

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showp...8&postcount=18

Come on, it's the only time they will see the view from the front! Have a bit of patience, it's not as if its a sprint or anything!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

It's all down to the fact that in their heads they are one of the top runners and deserve to be on the front line. Perhaps they used to be up there contending for wins and despite the years slowing doen their bodies they still feel exactly the same as they used to.

I speak from some experience here - Ive won a number of (low key, local) road events and therefore always line up at the front of a race if I can, even if I am hopelessly outclassed, for example by standing directly behind Haile, Baldini etc at FLM.

I think this will always happen - it's human nature.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Because of the plethora of vet categories there are several races in every event.

Every prize contender has won or lost races or even Championship Medals by "seconds". If, say, there is a restriction a short distance from the start which leads to queuing, where one could easily lose several hundred yards on a rival, it makes sense not to give that distance away because with two evenly matched runners that distance cannot be retrieved, particularly in a short race.

Blackstone Edge is restricted after you leave the main path as someone has already noted and yesterday was a Championship race.

But as to balking the likes of Holmes, Jebb, Lennox etc: well BE starts on a fairly wide road and the reality is they are so fast it does not affect them at all.

And as virtually every runner I have done a Profile on for The Fellrunner has said, "you always have to run your own race".

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Because of the plethora of vet categories there are several races in every event.

Every prize contender has won or lost races or even Championship Medals by "seconds". If, say, there is a restriction a short distance from the start which leads to queuing, where one could easily lose several hundred yards on a rival, it makes sense not to give that distance away because with two evenly matched runners that distance cannot be retrieved, particularly in a short race.

Blackstone Edge is restricted after you leave the main path as someone has already noted and yesterday was a Championship race.

But as to balking the likes of Holmes, Jebb, Lennox etc: well BE starts on a fairly wide road and the reality is they are so fast it does not affect them at all.

And as virtually every runner I have done a Profile on for The Fellrunner has said, "you always have to run your own race".
    Graham, I don't think any of the reasons in your reply can excuse obstructing better runners.

Races are by definition competitive events, & at Brit/Eng counters as you say there are many team & individual points up for grabs. However it's disrespectful to balk most of the field as happened yesterday. Not only disrespectful, it's potentially hazardous.

Graham, I don't think any of the reasons in your reply can excuse obstructing better runners.

Races are by definition competitive events, & at Brit/Eng counters as you say there are many team & individual points up for grabs. However it's disrespectful to balk most of the field as happened yesterday. Not only disrespectful, it's potentially hazardous.

Question: so who should be "entitled" to be near the front?

A runner who is going to come, say, 8th overall (ie nowhere) or a contender for a Champ V50 medal?

The BE men's race had a remarkably low turnout for a double Champ counter and I talked to Kev Shand about that (although the women's race was very well supported) so I just do not agree with your assertion that "most of the field" were balked yesterday.

However I accept you believe you had a problem.

Does that mean you should never see a woman on the front line of a race