Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do they do it?

Senior Member pauljonesforengland's Avatar

Re: Why do they do it?

I thought this is quite simple?

You should start a race in your estimated finishing place. Same applies to a fell race/5K/10K or whatever. Everyone needs to get into their own running pace asap - not too fast nor too slow..

This is important, e.g. for me this year trying to run sub 40K and wanting the first Kilometre to be 3.50 - 4.00, you don't want the first 300/400m getting past runners with ipods on carrying litres of water with running jackets on.
    Yes, it can be dangerous too, with pushing and tripping, which can be easily avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner View Post
    Why do the old, elderly & infirm insist on standing on the front line of a race?

At Blackstone Edge today & at Moel Eilio a few weeks ago the RO had problems getting the runners back to the starting line. This is only to be expected when a Brit/Eng counter has a quality field & the top runners are jockeying for position at a narrow start.

Most runners get into a position where they are among their peers -& then might try & knick a place or two - but why do some muppets who are totally outclassed stand at the front.

They obviously don't see the mayhem that they cause as better runners who were placed in a suitable position behind them have to negotiate their way around them.

Muppets, they deserve to be elbowed, tripped & run over.
    Ooooooooh - bit of a controversial post this one Jocky?!?!?

Only thing is you type of contradict your statement as you well up at the front in Eilio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Controversial? No. Common sense - yes!

Lets see them try it at Borrowdale this year - the stampede might cure them for good!

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    Does that mean you should never see a woman on the front line of a race
    Not at all Saz, but they should be able to find themselves a position at the start of a race among male runners who are of a comparable standard.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by RhosgadMath View Post
    Ooooooooh - bit of a controversial post this one Jocky?!?!?

Only thing is you type of contradict your statement as you well up at the front in Eilio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ooooooooh - a bit bitter now that our finishing positions have been restored to their rightful, natural order again eh Welshy ?

I totally agree with Graham B on this one. I'll start where I think I stand the best chance of optimising my performance on the day so if that means being at the front so I get a clear run at any early obstacles and therefore gain an advantage then that's what I'll do. The concept of standing with runners of a supposedly similar ability is nonsense as we all have different strengths and weaknesses - some of us like to start fast, others like to start at a more modest pace although we may end up together at the finish. If you think you're better than me then prove it by overtaking me (and my elbows!).

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Question: so who should be "entitled" to be near the front?

A runner who is going to come, say, 8th overall (ie nowhere) or a contender for a Champ V50 medal?

The BE men's race had a remarkably low turnout for a double Champ counter and I talked to Kev Shand about that (although the women's race was very well supported) so I just do not agree with your assertion that "most of the field" were balked yesterday.

However I accept you believe you had a problem.
    Using this rationale, it would be perfectly acceptable for a team to put a block of 20 runners at the front of a race & justify it by saying that they were all contending for the team places?

I had no more problems than anyone else yesterday, but these problems could have been alleviated slightly if a minority of runners showed some respect. It's a no-brainer really.

I actually really enjoyed the race yeterday as anyone I spoke to afterwards will testify.

Banned

Having run Blackstone edge in previous years I understand the comments

BUT

There is room to pass but not on the racing line.
    I train on the section from the road up to the top of the roman road and passing is tough but should we go like F1? Here all slower folk have blue flags waved at them to move out of the way of a faster runner.

No, is my answer.

But neither do I think a start line is for certain people.

If I want to stand at the tape and get battered by two thirds of the field to find my usual position surly thats up to me.

How would everyone fell if the organiser read the top 10 from the champs table and said here folks you stand on the line and the rest of you take two steps back?

If you pay your brass you stand where you want but dont moan if you get knocked about by people passing you.

That my rant for the week

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner View Post

I had no more problems than anyone else yesterday, but these problems could have been alleviated slightly if a minority of runners showed some respect. It's a no-brainer really.

For my age I am allegedly a fast starter and I was balked yesterday by some runners who were in front of me off the line but not as quick down the road.

But having done a few fell races in my time (including BE four times before) I don't whinge.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    For my age I am allegedly a fast starter and I was balked yesterday by some runners who were in front of me off the line but not as quick down the road.

But having done a few fell races in my time (including BE four times before) I don't whinge.
    Well said Sir.