Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do they do it?

Re: Why do they do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner View Post
    Ooooooooh - a bit bitter now that our finishing positions have been restored to their rightful, natural order again eh Welshy ?
    Correct, valid and temporary point there Jocky!

3-2 this year on the fell I believe isnt it???...3-3 if we include Mold B/L.................

You doing Gamelin next wknd??

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Question: so who should be "entitled" to be near the front?

A runner who is going to come, say, 8th overall (ie nowhere) or a contender for a Champ V50 medal?

8th overall in a British Championship race nowhere?? Slightly harsh and disparaging of, what most would consider, a great placing.

Funny witnessing the different behaviour of the womens and mens to starting. Women stood patiently 20 yards behind the start line and had to be asked to come forwards; men stood 100 yards ahead of the start line.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

Funny witnessing the different behaviour of the womens and mens to starting. Women stood patiently 20 yards behind the start line and had to be asked to come forwards; men stood 100 yards ahead of the start line.
    That is because all the women waited behind (the wonderful) Angela Mudge, because they know their place

whereas,

the men all wanted to be in front of Fellrunner, because he doesn't know his...

Well I usually start a race in the pack but will choose to stand nearish the front if I know the race bottles up at a stile or narrow track near the front. So for example I started near the front at Edale because of the stile (but there the field can spread out sideways on lining up and there's an almost a cavalry charge at the off), I started right at the front at last years Langdale Horseshoe but held my own along the track until we reached the climb up towards Stickle Tarn so didn't hold anyone up and, from last year's experience, would err towards starting Borrowdale near the front so as to avoid adding at least 5 minutes to my time being held up by the bottleneck soon after the start. I doubt my starting near the front selectively like this has held any one up at all to be honest. I'm also typically a slow climber and have to make up for that where ever the opportunity arises.

I can remember a British Champion being on the front line at Langdale many years ago and he got lost, he had the guts to finnish the race, but because he did, he was beaten by many old crippled runners on that day, I was one of them. All part of the fun eh.

[quote=Stolly;139347]I doubt my starting near the front selectively like this has held any one up at all to be honest. quote]

I think it does. Not just one person, but tens/hundreds starting way at the front (further forward than there respective positions) does make a difference. At Eilio I started way at the back and even way up on Eilio I was passing people who I'd never seen during a race...I didn't manage to catch Fellrunner up until maesgwm. :-)

In local races I start front line because I'm generally top 3/top 5, so think that's OK, but at the Brits or quality fields I'd make sure I was stood a bit further back.

I'd also say that coming 2nd or 3rd V60 or something isn't as prestigous as being in the top 10 overall. Suprised to read that comment by Graham. '8th i.e. nowhere'

I tend to start near the front regardless of the quality of the race. I tend to start fairly quick and panic if I have to start passing people in the first 200m. If I start near the front I find I can run my own race people tend to start passing after 2-3 miles but usually the field has thinned by then.

[quote=IainR;139366]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post

I'd also say that coming 2nd or 3rd V60 or something isn't as prestigous as being in the top 10 overall. Suprised to read that comment by Graham. '8th i.e. nowhere'
    Gee! The full sentence was "A runner who is going to come, say, 8th overall (ie nowhere) or a contender for a Champ V50 medal?"

"8th" was just a number. There are no Champ medals for 8th but, OK, substitute 18th, 28th, 38th,... if that makes people happier.

[quote=GrahamB;139369]
    Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

Gee! The full sentence was "A runner who is going to come, say, 8th overall (ie nowhere) or a contender for a Champ V50 medal?"

"8th" was just a number. There are no Champ medals for 8th but, OK, substitute 18th, 28th, 38th,... if that makes people happier.
    You don't know that. That 8th place could secure a team gold. So could 18th, after that I doubt it's so important whether they get 38th or 39th but I reckon the top 20 or so is.

I, like, Fellrunner was suprised at the start. I understand stolly's point about losing 5 minutes, but someone has to get held back, and I think those that aren't as competitive should start further down the order.

It'll be interesting to see how it all goes on at Borrowdale.

I was a bit cheesed off at being stuck in the pack for the first section of the race but on reflection, what the heck, it is a fell race after all and I know where i'll be starting from at the next one

I felt a bit for Kevin trying to move everyone back, some moved, some didn't and some just hid in the bushes