Thread: Whiplash due to sit ups !

Whiplash due to sit ups !

I have recently suffered a whiplash type injury to my neck.
    This pain comes on from time to time .I can only think that it is a result of the sit ups i carry out on a daily basis.
    Can any one point me in the right direction for a "Neck safe " sit up.
    Its amazing isnt it ,i do the sit ups to keep a strong stomach to help my bad back and now end up with a bad neck !

Re: Whiplash due to sit ups !

How do you do your situps?

If you want to do full situps arms across you chest is better than hands behind head.

Crunches in my oppinion are better than situps as it takes less skill to keep form

Sounds like you've been pulling on your neck to sit up instead of using your abs. Try putting your hands at the side of your head instead of behind your head, with only the tips of the fingers touching your temples so that you're not tempted to use your hands to help pull yourself up.
    Also have your knees bent not straight, feet flat on the floor hip width apart.
    The head should stay in alignment with the neck, imagine you have an apple under your chin throughout the movement.
    Breathe out as you come up and in as you lie back down.
    Also, as suggested, you could try crunches instead where you only lift your head and shoulders off the floor instead of sitting all the way up. The above principles still apply.
    Good luck with the washboard!
    Last edited by Mountain Goatess; 30-06-2008 at 11:17 PM.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by detritus21 View Post
    How do you do your situps?

If you want to do full situps arms across you chest is better than hands behind head.

Crunches in my oppinion are better than situps as it takes less skill to keep form
    Based on several years of doing circuit training with an Olympic bronze medallist I agree with this. Keep you knees slightly bent and don't pull too far up for each sit up.

Another option is to get one of them ab roller thingies my experience is they work fairly well.

Many thanks for the replies.
    I think i may be wrenching my neck when i am tired.
    My plan now is to stop carring out normal sit ups and do the knees to chest while hanging on a bar type ones !
    Thanks again
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Based on several years of doing circuit training with an Olympic bronze medallist I agree with this. Keep you knees slightly bent and don't pull too far up for each sit up.

several years of training with an olmipic bronze medalist... hmm is that another word for a piss up? dom i am sure you can get silver or even be a badger champion these days
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.E Knott View Post
    Many thanks for the replies.
    I think i may be wrenching my neck when i am tired.
    My plan now is to stop carring out normal sit ups and do the knees to chest while hanging on a bar type ones !
    Thanks again
    Mark
    A.P.E Knott if you only do crunches you'll lose the benefit of the rest of the sit-up movement.

You now know what caused your injury, so it's ok to put your hands behind your head, just don't yank.

If your able to last quite a long time, try using a small weight to reduce you to 20reps(this will also slow you down). Keep your legs straight and secured, and only allow your stomach and hip muscles to do the lift.