Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyke Wake Race

Lyke Wake Race

LAST YEAR SAW another high number of entries in the annual Lyke Wake Race, an internationally known hill running (and walking) event, which has taken place since 1963, covering forty two miles, and many thousands of feet of climbing on the North York Moors National Park.
    The route, which attracts competitors from all over the country, traverses this moorland area of North East England, from the village of Osmotherley near Northallerton to the North Sea Coast at Ravenscar, just north of Scarborough.

Entries for this gruelling race, being held on Saturday 7th July are now being accepted. The race is open to runners and walkers, including team entries from athletic clubs, but all must finish the course within the maximum time of twelve hours.

A handicap system, of staggered starts, is based on entrants previous best times or on their own estimates – with a built-in safeguard to detect fraudulent claims!

Apart from the start and finish there are a further seven check-points which provide food and drink to the expected 150 entrants, for safety reasons communications are provided by the Raynet organisation.

Several annual trophies, sponsored by ‘The Dalesman’ magazine will be presented by the Ryedale MP, John Greenway, at the Raven Hall Hotel in Ravenscar.

Application forms and details of this race on Saturday 7th July are available, with a s.a.e., from the Race Director, PO Box 24, Northallerton, DL6 3HZ. Or downloaded from the Lyke Wake Website www.lykewakewalk.co.uk The closing date is 16th June, that means the 16th not the 17th!

Further details if needed by e-mail from [email protected]

P.A.Sherwood…
    Race Director

Re: 43rd Annual Lyke Wake Rac

OH NO!
    no!
    no!
    no!

did the lyke wake twice years ago, swore (frequently) that never again.
    why did i read this?
    tempting! ?
    Forgotten the pain, knee deep mud, flipping freezing over night (just for fun we started at 10pm in October!)
    In the daylight, mmm, intresting!
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

Lyke Wake Race last Saturday

Any else complete in this quagmire known as The North York Moors. What about the thunderstorm? I was at Fylingdales, wow, that came down!! What are others experiences of the race?

Re: Lyke Wake Race last Saturd

A female friend of mine did this came in at 7hrs 50 mins ish, are there any results out yet ?

wow, impressive time. no results yet. usually online fairly quick and then they send out a hard copy later with your splits on it.
    I struggled round in 9hr 45 min , but pleased as it beat my pb of last year by 24 mins and much wetter conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    wow, impressive time. no results yet. usually online fairly quick and then they send out a hard copy later with your splits on it.
    I struggled round in 9hr 45 min , but pleased as it beat my pb of last year by 24 mins and much wetter conditions.
    Please let me know when results are available.
    MANY THANKS
    APE KNOTT

Hi APE KNOTT limited results now online, it says results available with sae , but usually they post them out. Last year they posted them on the site too. Guess its watch this space

If your friend is Shelli kempson , she's listed as 7hr 50. Great time!!

hi there - i cant find the results anywhere.... could you post the link please?

ooops just found it

http://www.lykewakewalk.co.uk/

I have to add that I have never before seen anything quite like what they have written on thier website about one of the slower competitors!
    Last edited by Daleside; 09-07-2007 at 05:22 PM. Reason: shocked!

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post

I have to add that I have never before seen anything quite like what they have written on thier website about one of the slower competitors!
    Harsh but very funny.

I've been on a race earlier this year where I was stood on the start line next to a guy who had no bumbag, asked him where his waterproof, map, compass, spare food etc were and he said he didn't think he needed any he was just going to follow the guy in front The race was a 40+ miler.
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 09-07-2007 at 07:42 PM.