Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyke Wake Race

Re: Lyke Wake Walk split times

well done matey. I did the LWW as a walk back in July with some friends.. but it took us considerably longer than you. 8.24 seems to be a pretty good run time to me. What were the bogs like?

Re: Lyke Wake Walk split times

Bogs were not too bad. A lot of puddles and many paths were actually streams. Only one bit of marsh wobbled like a trampoline under my feet! Living near Black Hill I am used to wet feet! I enjoyed the day and am now wondering if it could become an annual trip for me or shall I try the Peak District Trigs or Dales Way or ... the list is endless!

Re: Lyke Wake Race 2008

Anybody having a crack at this one on the 13th of July ? Day before my birthday, so it would be rude not to !

Oh bugger. DoE assessed expedition that weekend so I can't do it.

Have you done it before Karen ? I wouldn't mind a bit of route advice from somebody !

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Oh bugger. DoE assessed expedition that weekend so I can't do it.

I did it a while back in 07 and enjoyed it the rolling start was good from sheepwash cp then along Cleveland way for a bit and ive have to look at map when I get home tonight. But there was rice pudding at lion pub if I can help I reply tonight. I'm sure someone will have done it more recently though. Logistics of getting back is a pain though but I enjoyed the race

Great, thanks Old Un ! Can you remember how obvious the route is as I'll struggle with a recce !

Quote Originally Posted by old un View Post
    I did it a while back in 07 and enjoyed it the rolling start was good from sheepwash cp then along Cleveland way for a bit and ive have to look at map when I get home tonight. But there was rice pudding at lion pub if I can help I reply tonight. I'm sure someone will have done it more recently though. Logistics of getting back is a pain though but I enjoyed the race

I did this last year. The route is fairly obvious - only one bit very early on where if you take the wrong path you can end up quite a way away. It's the mud you need to watch out for - miles and miles and miles of good old moorland - deep man eating trenches

Not done the race but done the route as a run... route finding generally straight-forward as a lot of it is on significant paths and bridleways. Would probably be worth sketching out the route on a map in advance so you've got an idea in mind of where you're going.

When I did it it was the first "ultra" distance I'd run. I just used the guide book available on the link below. I didn't have any maps so I suppose I was lucky to have a a nice, warm spring day (remember them?) for it. Not much climb and lots of good running.

http://www.lykewake.org/sales.php
    Last edited by Hank; 20-03-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Geoff Clarke

As hank and socks said it not hard nav I didn't reccie it and majority of on moorland paths and first bit on Cleveland way only bit to watch as I remember was the path near fylingdale radar base there was a split on it but not too hard if you know it's coming. I ran it off an os map no probs and it's even marked on it as a small path and named if I recall correctly I photo copied a4 sections and highlightrd path we got hailstone we did and yes plenty of mud. After the lion go along the road and keep an eye for the. Turn onto the dreaded peat bogs! We saw walkers wallowing Upto there knackers in it!!!