Thread: World Masters 6/9/08 Czech Rep

Wolverhampton - nearest 'hill' the Wrekin!

World Masters 6/9/08 Czech Rep

I'm considering going over for this, just wondering if anyone else is?

Never thought I'd ever want to do an old farts race but seen as I am one now (at least by international definitions) why not !

Re: World Masters 6/9/08 Czech

These are always very good events. Fly to Prague - the rest can be done by train, but hiring a car is less complicated. Not sure at all about paying the 35 euro entry fee - at present it seems they require a bank transfer, which costs £15 if the Halifax do it. I've contacted the organisers to see if the fee can be paid when we register, as happened last year at Bludenz.
    If anyone knows more about all this.....

A superb Czech Republic staging of the 2008 World Masters. Dolni Morava is a secluded mountain valley, east of Prague. A very hard course in the full glare of midday heat, flattish for 5km, then steeply up around the ski slopes. Gold for Alex Menarry - V75, and the V60 Team of Ben Grant, Geoff Howard, Steve Herington. Bronze for Craig Roberts, Ben Grant, Martin Ford, Evelyn Dugdale. Marvellous entertainment throught the night and the next morning. Next year is Zagreb in Croatia, early September - never mind the course, just enjoy the event.

I agree Lost Lad it was excellent. I have done the World Masters for the past 4 years and they are one of the highlights of my racing year. Only down side was that it was a hell of a drive from Prague Airport to Dolni Morava. One of our party missed her connecting flight from Paris, so we were 2 hours late getting away. A road was closed so we had to divert and got lost. Once we got to Dolni Morava it look us nearly and hour to find the **** hotel. But other that that, brilliant !!

Do you know the date for next years race ?

We did last years old gits race in Bludenz, Austria, it was great fun and very well organised.

This year its the Tour de Tirol in Austria with 5 or 6 of us doing the Kaisermarathon. I have the GPX trace from someone who did it before and according to Sportracks its 7200ft ascent, most of it in the second half . Will let you know if its any good. Dead cheap flights from Liverpool to Basle then drive from there.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

I'm thinking 2009 in Zagreb is the 2nd weekend in September, but not definite. As for those road works, the direct line worked well - round the barriers and straight through. Seems the direct line also worked well on the return trip Monday morning, but we went on decent roads to the left...

The 2009 course in Zagreb, Croatia is described thus: There is asphalted road for first 200m & last 350m - the rest is footpaths which are 1-2m wide. Excellent surface, no mud in case of wet weather, no dangerous sections, no extremely steep sections but steepness all the time. Forest with shadow all the time. The course is suitable for all age categories.

Their web site is under construction and will be: www.wmmrc2009.org and contact is: [email protected]

Whilst out over the moors this aft,i had to slow down for a lady riding a frisky horse. A brief chat ensued during which she informed me that she'd just returned from running at the world masters. It was Mary Green from Bingley!
    Small world aint it?