Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wharedale Gp 5/7/8

Wharedale Gp 5/7/8

I am doing the 12.5 miler 3000ft tommorrow. Only my 2nd ever fell race. A bit apprehensive about it, but gonna just use it as a training run and get round. Any advice?

Re: Wharedale Gp 5/7/8

i'm planning on the the full TTT, Magician, so I'll see you there. Never done any of the races, so can't really offer any advice, except start steady, you can always speed up later (maybe)

Looking at the map, looks like the first half is mainly tracks and paths, and the second half might just have those tussocks in, so you'll probably pass me as I'm crawling back up Gt Whernside

Dont think so. I am inexperienced, only going because my bro dont wanna drive there alone. Il look out for you. Any clues?
    Where i the map?
    Is it v. strict regarding full kit, compass etc?

Details here http://www.bingleyharriers.org.uk/docs/TTT_entry_08.pdf

They're asking for full kit, and the weather might be a bit iffy on Saturday so it'd be worth carrying anyway. You have to carry your own map, but they give grid references of check points. Nice thing about this race is, you can give a go, and if it's all too much just turn right, and it's downhill to a pub

I'll be the fat, grey haired one in a fell ponies vest

Wharedale?...ain't sure where that is?

Wharfedale...as in 'arriers

for effsakes get thi spellin reet

Not many wharedale Harriers at their local race, Whafeego. What's the problem. not tough enough?

Did you have a crack Magician? Weather was a bit grim, and even the leaders took the extended bonus route of wandering round aimlessly until they happened on the summit of Gt Whernside.

(Good job Joe Mercer's a top class orienteer, and could show Holmesy where to go )

I had a crack at it, but for my 2nd ever fell race, it wsnt really a pleasant experience. I got lost in between cp 1 and 4. Myself and a couple of others took a wrong turn and ended up going an extra mile.
    Very hard to navigate. We just followed a Bingley Harrier whose map and compass and local knowledge where of no use. Finished it at least so was happy.
    2:10:00 pitiful time, but al the same I was happy to finish. God luck for tommorrow, Pudgy, I take it that you will be doing it. You had a good resylt yesterday I see, how did you do today?

Well done Magician, that was a bit of a tester for your second fell race. What did you think of it? If it was a bit of a grind, don't be disheartened, it doesn't piss down on every single race ( I remember the sun shining on one race, back in 199....)

The marshal at Ckpt 5, looming through the mist, and shouting "Keep to the path, keep to the path", straight out of American Werewolf in London Was that pub in Kettlewell really called "The Slaughtered Lamb"?

Oddly enough, I got lost after Ckpt 4 and wandered around admiring the scenery (all 20 foot of it) for a bit. The fact that I kept my place despite a couple of navigational howlers, may be a reflection of fell runners map reading skills.

Quote Originally Posted by pudgy View Post
    not Many Wharedale Harriers At Their Local Race, Whafeego. What's The Problem. Not Tough Enough?
    Is This Comin From The Same Man Who Wimped Out Off Glaramara Last Week

Didn't wimp out at all. I just found I could enjoy the looks of discomfort on the competitors faces, better from a stationary position

I think there's some piccys on the Borrowdale site that'll prove my point.
    Oh, and talking of suffering, enjoy your blisters tomorrow, Watto