Thread: How to return to fitness

How to return to fitness

After two and a half months out with PF, I am now able to run again. Any suggestions on how to return to fitness as quickly as possible? When to get back to speedwork, hills, long runs etc? Am impatient and want to start racing as soon as possible!

Re: How to return to fitness

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    After two and a half months out with PF, I am now able to run again. Any suggestions on how to return to fitness as quickly as possible? When to get back to speedwork, hills, long runs etc? Am impatient and want to start racing as soon as possible!
    take it one step at a time.. don't rush it otherwise you will be back on the injury list again

It will take ages to gt back to where you were and theres no quick way.

Last year I had PF in Feb (5 weeks off) then it came back after FLM in April and i spent the whole summer jogging on grass every second day.
    I have been back to 'normal training' since about November and am nearly back at my normal times for reps/long runs etc.
    And I was going on the bike a lot when I was running less.

Keep at it. In some ways it's just like being a beginner again and having your pace get quicker week by week.

Definitly don't go mad trying to cram a months training into a fortnight or owt daft like that though.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

I've had a few long layoffs from running due to injury in the past couple of years. I maintained a reasonable level of fitness by cross traning - lots of rowing and exercise bike stuff at the gym. Getting your running fitness back takes time and patience. High cardiovascular + low impact training is the ideal combination as you need to build back up to your target mileage and faster-paced running s-l-o-w-l-y or else you'll be injured again. One session that you could do e.g. twice a week is Hill Reps on steep soft boggy ground - this could be a really testing session on a forgiving surface.
    Cheers.