Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saunders lakeland MM

Re: Saunders lakeland MM

Did Carrock Fell for the 2nd year and have to agree with the comments about the amount of contouring on Day 1, my feet were wrecked by Grisedale Tarn - I've never been so glad to hit a proper path! An easier run in to the finish (save for an "interesting" route up to Striding Edge over wet, loose rock) and then finally the bliss of taking off my shoes, tucking into some rehydrated grub and even having some sun.

Day 2 was significantly easier, much more opportunity to run and a lot less climbing (and most of the contouring was clockwise which we felt was considerate!). Not a huge potential for alternative route finding over the whole event, although we seemed to be in a very small minority by cutting down and across Glencoynedale to Checkpoint 2 on Sunday.

Overall a great event, how often do you get to explore an entire range of hills in a weekend? Interesting plugging routes into Memory Map - Saturday was 22.6 km/2000m (nominally 18.8/1185) and Sunday 16.6/1120 (14.6/705).

we did the Carrock too after getting a late entry and it was far harder than the Kirkfell we did last year. I echo everything about contouring...I have got 4 bad blisters...and the rock climbing over Striding Edge which was particularly hairy with all the scree, wet rock and what looked like potentially fatal drops if you slipped We missed 2 checkpoints very badly on Saturday and took nearly 7 hours...of which i bet we ran no more than 2 hours, if that!!!

also found out that my essentially 1 man Terra Nova Laser Competition tent isn't great for 2 12 stone blokes in the pissing rain!!! also first time I have ever slept in waterproof bottoms and jacket...

and to cap it all we pulled out on Sunday after 3 hours after missing the 3rd checkpoint by an absolute mile...the conversation in the mist went like this 'I'm sure this bridleway should contour round the back of Watsons Dodd'...'don't worry it'll just be the worn path to the summit we'll be back on it in a minute'.... 'we seem to be running a long time''...mist clears and we see the valley stretching out below...'sh1t that was Great Dodd we just came over not Watson'!!! what with all the blisters and the 1hr 25mins it took to do the 3rd checkpoint my mind turned to the 5 hour journey home and we packed in... apart from that really enjoyed it

Moved up to Bowfell this year. It was interesting how few there were compared to Kirkfell etc- we often seemed to be alone. Day 1 did have lots of contouring- but that was we think also partly our poor route choice early on. Day 2 had more running. Both days seemed to have some route choice. I reckon most of the control sites were relatively simple ( compared to some in previous years). Wow did it rain and rain- but at least it wasn't cold. Partner was not keen on Day 2 final descent but we survived and enjoyed.
    SLMM is so much fun and friendly low key compared to OMM. It is nice to finish not totally wasted! and to have a relatively short drive home.

Thanks to all who organised, marshalled etc.

This was mine and Helen's first MM and we had a great time. The weather was pretty awful for most of the time but I suppose that's part of the challenge. We managed to navigate our way around quite well, only had a couple of slight hiccups, not bad considering we couldn't navigate a month ago!

Nice to see Ali and Ali, congratulations, you did really well.

I've been looking through the Fell Calendar already for the next one.

Well done to everyone who took part and thanks for the the great advice we got beforehand (except Fleeter who suggested we drank beer all weekend!)

Linda

P.S We got our bag down to 11lbs and still had too much!

It was good to see a number of young competitors doing so well, e.g. the Harding brothers runnining with their young daughters and winning, Stephen Lumb with his young son Michael winning day 2. Promissing!

Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    It was good to see a number of young competitors doing so well, e.g. the Harding brothers runnining with their young daughters and winning, Stephen Lumb with his young son Michael winning day 2. Promissing!

Yiannis
    Well done to you too Yiannis, still life in the auld dog yet

(i said hello on Saturday and we had a quick chat on the way to Sticks Pass)

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    Well done to you too Yiannis, still life in the auld dog yet

(i said hello on Saturday and we had a quick chat on the way to Sticks Pass)
    Hmmmm......... just about!