Thread: Ben Rinnes-Dufftwon

Ben Rinnes-Dufftwon

Anyone have any other info then 14 miles-5000ft ascent? Thinking of doing this while on hols up there. Any e maps willing to share would be great as well. cheers

Re: Ben Rinnes-Dufftwon

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    Anyone have any other info then 14 miles-5000ft ascent? Thinking of doing this while on hols up there. Any e maps willing to share would be great as well. cheers
    Having done it, the Scottish Hill Racing website entry has all the info about the race you need: http://www.scottishhillracing.co.uk/...RaceID=RA-0082. Route is obvious, straight out and back the same way.

Conditions last year were atrocious, so should be dry and sunny this year. See you there. It is a highland games race, unusual in being a long one - most are in the two to three mile category. As far as I remember, there is no parking area at the games field itself in Dufftown. The pipe band is reasonable, and the caber tossing often spectacular. EOD and included in admission ticket to the games.

cheers for info, was up last year but didnt run friend ran and said he got soaked, cheers for link, had had a look at SHR website but obviously not properly. Was thinking of Strathconon hill race week after, near Dingwall, you dont know owt abt this do you by chance, cant seem to find anything abt it.

cheers for info, was up last year but didnt run friend ran and said he got soaked, cheers for link, had had a look at SHR website but obviously not properly. Was thinking of Strathconon hill race week after, near Dingwall, you dont know owt abt this do you by chance, cant seem to find anything abt it.
    Scottish Hill Racing is a highly informative race, club and runner info website maintained by Chris Upson, who also looks after the SHR (Scottish Hill Runners) website. If you've done a Scottish race since 2005, you're in the Scottish Hill Racing website. The SHR is like the English FRA - the official body.

Strathconon is somewhere NW of Inverness, I believe, and is probably a games hill race, as the only information on the SHR race details is the name and number of the organiser. It's the same weekend as the Borrowdale anyway.

Wink Re: Ben Rinnes-Dufftwon

The SHR is like the English FRA - the official body.
    Oh Graham, if only you knew the significance of this statement!!

Anyway, I'll not bore you with the history, but the SHR is NOT the official body in Scotland - that's Scottish Athletics. We are (quoting from the constitution) "an independent organisation providing a range of services for hill runners in Scotland."

Enough politics, lets get back to the racing. Ben Rinnes is indeed an excellent race and well worth passing a few distilleries for. Just watch you dont run into the pipe band just before you finish!!!

Cheers

Malcolm
    (SHR Secretary et al)

anyone got a link for decent weather prediction for this part of country? and its Dufftown, i cant spell

Ran this 3 or 4 years ago - long steady climbs and descents - the reception from the crowd at the end is brilliant!

anyone got a link for decent weather prediction for this part of country? and its Dufftown, i cant spell
    Elgin on the 5-day BBC Weather seems to be the nearest. If you compare it with Aviemore, which is sort of in the opposite direction, and they are the same, then take away the number you first thought of and double it.

Ran it the last couple of years. The race and Games make for a great day out.

2 small heathery hills (done twice) and one large rocky hill make for a good combination of terrain.

And it was flippin' cold on top of Ben Rinnes last year.

Enjoy it.
    Everybody's heart doesn't beat the same.

Not a difficult message.

I did Ben Rinnes a few years ago. I reckon the weather was very hot, but that added to the splendour. I managed (just) to hitch from Grantown on Spey, saw about 5 mins of the Highland Games before the off, then spent hours over the hills.

The finish was in the highland showground (caber tossing still in high spirits) and in the early evening the band played through the streets of Dufftown.

If this is what Fell Running and life is about ............... long may I live.

Truly wonderful.

LdR