Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: learning BGR sections

Re: learning BGR sections

In my opinion it is infinitely preferable to run down a mountain at the end of the round than it is to stagger along 6 m iles of tarmac... especially if you hate it as much as I do...

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    In my opinion it is infinitely preferable to run down a mountain at the end of the round than it is to stagger along 6 m iles of tarmac... especially if you hate it as much as I do...
    Fair enough - I hate tarmac too. I just remember doing the last 15 miles of the Fellsman with a bad injury amd it bl**dy hurt especially going down hill.

I am counting on not being injured

At the moment, I have a torn ligament in my ankle that makes it hard to stabilise the ankle, so can't run very well, let alone downhill...

Great obsession BGsec? You are the only one so far who has thought it to be great, everyone else thinks I am mad...
    There are plenty of us on here who are afflicted with the obsession. Realise also that once you have purged your own (like I did back in 1985), it simply returns even stronger, so you have to find more things to do that most of the world considers mad.

Simon Barnes called it "slaying dragons" after the OMM debacle so get slaying.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Then don't do the road, take the track through the fields/woods, it's shorter less hilly and very pleasant, You only have a mile of Tarmac then in to Keswick.

With tired quads the descent off Skiddaw must be hard.

Each to their own on this subject too.

The majority of people report that they suffer badly on the downs, often after about half way (so that's a long time to suffer!)

If time is tight at the end, and your quads are wrecked, the road shuffle will pass more quickly than the nightmare of Jenkin Hill.

Of course if you really want to test the theory, you could do a double like the late Boyd Millen, Roger Baumeister or Eric Draper which would allow you to experience both finishes within a 48 hour period (well RB managed his double in that time).

Super Moderator

Anyone got any thoughts on the value of a 'steady-away' 3day backpack / trot around BGR as an initial famaliariser? Last time I walked something before then running it was Burnsall fell race but accept this is ever so slightly different!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Anyone got any thoughts on the value of a 'steady-away' 3day backpack / trot around BGR as an initial famaliariser? Last time I walked something before then running it was Burnsall fell race but accept this is ever so slightly different!
    Yes definitely, Go for it, at the very least it's time on your feet and any familiarisation of the route is a good thing.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Yes definitely, Go for it, at the very least it's time on your feet and any familiarisation of the route is a good thing.
    Met a guy a couple of years ago near Great End who was doing this Ian. I liked the idea then although never thought I'd be starting to think about doing same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    DT, I agree with IDP.

This would be a brilliant way to get started. Time on your feet and all that. Ty and pick a decent spell of weather which will help

If you do go for it, let us know how you divide the days up and where you chose to camp.

Mrs BGSec has designs on a BG (2 Ilkley Harriers lady successes this year) and we have talked about this method of getting started, tho' 2 days was mentioned.

Thank God I went round when I was a nipper; don't know how I'd find the time now (but I'm working on that!). Be nice to go all the way round with the Mrs