Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: learning BGR sections

Fellhound

Re: learning BGR sections

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    hey if I'm gonna do it I want the t-shirt!!
    .... could always make your own t-shirt....

You could also consider not needing a car at both ends
    I checked out (clockwise) legs 1, 2, 3 in May
    of course you don't have to do the whole of a leg or limit yourself to a leg

1 is easy - park in Keswick, run back down the old railway from Threlkeld
    2 - park at Threlkeld, hitch back from Dunmail - for a longer day out you can of course run back down the valley.
    3 - dropped off at Dunmail, ran as far as Scafell Pike and returned to Seathwaite (double egg roll in the cafe ) - hitched from there back to Keswick where wife and child had spent the afternoon (you could hitch out to Dunmail)

plan for the other legs would be
    4 - leave car at Seathwaite run over Styhead, corridor, Scafell Pike, Scafell, Wasdale and complete leg 4 , run or hitch back down from Honister.
    Or leave car at Honister and run out on Moses Trod

5 - leave car in Keswick, run out over Catbells etc.

Hitching in the Lakes is quite easy - its full of outdoor types.
    though I guess they are unlikely to volunteer provide company on your run....

other possibilities.
    Stonethwaite, High Raise to Scafell Pike to Stonethwaite
    Steel End to Dunmail to High Raise to Steel End is a nice wee section
    New Dungeon Gill, Sergeant Man to Bowfell, NDG
    Dunmail, Grizedale Tarn, Fairfield, Seat Sandall Dunmail for a nice summer evening run.
    Last edited by andy k; 15-07-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: yes

I've reccied all legs solo, 3 is by far the hardest to do, 2 is just long.

Leg 1 as mentioned is easy, it's only about 3-4 miles back on the railway line from Threlkeld.

Leg 2 - I ran back parallel to the road through the woods along the permissive path, then to avoid the road through St John's in the Vale crossed the river and used the paths alongside. Really enjoyed this, was probably about 11 miles without much ascent whilst not being completely flat.

Leg 3 - I didn't enjoy this solo! A long long way back after a long recce, with loads of climb. Up past Styhead and Sprinkling Tarns, Esk Hause, Angle Tarn, Stake Pass, High Raise then pretty much the BG route in reverse to get back to Dunmail. Maybe 10 miles but seemed to take forever.

Leg 4 - Parked up at Honister, contoured round to west of Grey Knotts ridge and picked up Moses trod to Wasdale. About 4 miles I think, this one is quite easily doable in one go. It's seems a long way down from Beck Head, knowing that Yewbarrow is waiting for you.

Leg 5 - I went on the paths round the west side of Derwent Water, and got on the path that goes past Castle Crag and eventually joins the Honister path road, which you can run alongside of mostly. From Keswick around 10 miles. If doing it again, I wouldn't want that long road bit at the end, though it's worth looking at at least once before an attempt. I'd park up at the bridge near Newlands Church, go down Newlands Beck and pick up the BG route from Dale Head.

Hitching is fairly easy in the Lakes but there are also buses running between Ambleside and Keswick so you could use them.

As noted, Leg 3 is the tricky one if you wish to run the whole leg in one go. I reccied the first part (up to Esk Pike) from Dunmail but did the second part (Bowfell onwards) whilst staying at Eskdale then ran back over the Old Corpse road to get back. Another alternative would be to park at Seathwaite (borrowdale one) and hitch round to Dunmail then head back over Styhead pass to get back to the car. Has the advantage that once you get to Rossett Pike it is fairly easy to bail out if the weather turns.

Leg 4 - as has been noted, Moses Trod is useful in getting between Honister and Wasdale. I've used it both when starting at Honister and to return to Wasdale.

Leg 5 - I just did the route as an out and back from Little Town - it's easier to sort out a line through the rock steps on Robinson from below.

Quote Originally Posted by bestathlete View Post
    I'm keen to become familiar with the whole of the BGR route and hopefully complete the challenge in a couple of years time. I know section 1 reasonably well now, mainly because it's nearest to my house and is easy to complete without having to use two cars or bikes etc to get from end to start.

A mate of mine is also keen to learn the route but he usually works until 11am on a Sunday, which is the day I tend to go fellrunning (and I prefer to go much earlier than that.) So I'm appealing for anyone in a similar situation really - someone who would benefit from teaming up for lifts etc and who
    is also looking to learn the sections.

I'm in a roughly similar boat, but may not start recceing seriously til next year

re Legs 3 & 4 - I had a vague idea to recce it in 2 (long!) weekends by:

1)staying at the top of the Langdale valley, strolling up to the pikes while I digest my porridge, then doing an out-and-back to Dunmail one day, and an out-and-back to Scafell Pike another day

2) staying at Wasdale and doing Scafell-LordsRake-FoxesTarn-BroadStand-ScafellPike one day, and Leg
    4 another day

does this sound like a good/bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    I'm in a roughly similar boat, but may not start recceing seriously til next year

re Legs 3 & 4 - I had a vague idea to recce it in 2 (long!) weekends by:

1)staying at the top of the Langdale valley, strolling up to the pikes while I digest my porridge, then doing an out-and-back to Dunmail one day, and an out-and-back to Scafell Pike another day

2) staying at Wasdale and doing Scafell-LordsRake-FoxesTarn-BroadStand-ScafellPike one day, and Leg
    4 another day

does this sound like a good/bad idea?
    Daz
    Try going up Friday night put the tent up in Langdale and drive round to Keswick early Sat morning. Do legs 1+2+ leg 3 to Bowfell and drop back down to tent. Set off early morning and return to Bowfell to the end.
    much more logical and will give you more a feel for the whole route.

Some great tips here, cheers everyone.
    Im thinking of doing my first recce of Leg2 a week this Sunday if anyone cares to join me
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

I have been toying with the idea of going from Keswick (c/w) over two days and camping at Styhead but IanDP's idea sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of going from Keswick (c/w) over two days and camping at Styhead but IanDP's idea sounds good.
    When I did something similar, I found that carrying the camping stuff was a bit of a PITA given that, even split into two, it's a couple of long days out..

I've no idea of the practicalities, but I've wondered about whether it's possible to dump a bike at the end of various sections to get back to your starting point? Or possibly dumping a car at the end and then cycling to the start?

Not that I've got any intention of a BGR.....