Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: learning BGR sections

Re: learning BGR sections

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    whether it's possible to dump a bike at the end of various sections to get back to your starting point? Or possibly dumping a car at the end
    Or nick one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Or nick one?
    Only if it's a blue PX Stealth.....

(Assuming it's assembled....)

(Assuming it's assembled....)
    Yeah, doesn't go uphill though...

Master and MR

I've no idea of the practicalities, but I've wondered about whether it's possible to dump a bike at the end of various sections to get back to your starting point? Or possibly dumping a car at the end and then cycling to the start?

Not that I've got any intention of a BGR.....
    you can leave a cheap bike at dunmail and do legs 1 and 2 then die as you pedal back to keswick.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Daz
    Try going up Friday night put the tent up in Langdale and drive round to Keswick early Sat morning. Do legs 1+2+ leg 3 to Bowfell and drop back down to tent. Set off early morning and return to Bowfell to the end.
    much more logical and will give you more a feel for the whole route.

ooh that sounds good Ian!

however, I'm not fit enough yet for such an undertaking - thought I could learn the sections in more bite-sized chunks while I get used to longer days out, thus killing 2 birds with one stone

My solo recce masterplan, which I don't think has already been posted, was:

- Camp at Seatoller Farm.

- Day 1 - Via Seathwaite & Grains Gill, then head east as far as time/arsedness permit (in my case, Rossett) then hook into the leg 3 route c/w back to Wasdale. Sit in the river for a bit. Stroll casually back to Seatoller over Styhead.

- Day 2 - back over Styhead into Wasdale, which then allows for as much/little Leg 4 as desired. Anywhere from Kirk Fell onwards there are several options to exit back into Borrowdale, and if the leg is completed it is only a couple of k back to Seatoller from Honister.

One pitch only, no messing around with cars etc., and only the short stretch of tarmac from Seatoller to Seathwaite on road, the rest of it classic lakes and good running on or off route.

I should add that I was more bothered about getting in time running in the lakes generally, rather than worrying about running legs as distinct entities. To me the time I was running off BG route was well spent doing that rather than catching buses getting lifts etc.

BTW since my failed 2007 attempt I kept notes on a laptop on my training, nutrition/kit etc, which culminated in a successful (and surprisingly painless) round on 20/21 June this year. I'm not making myself out to be some sort of expert but if anyone is interested - at your own risk - please PM me and I'll email them to you.

STEVERS

Well I've got Monday to Wednesday next week free so I'm going to have a look around. Want to have a go next year - I'll be 42. Suggestions for where to stay on Monday and Tuesday night (campsite/YHA/B&B - whatever) very welcome as this is last minute planning (as usual)!

The Acorn B&B in Keswick is incredibly friendly. I don't have their number / email to hand but a google search will give that.

Am I right in thinking that the memorial plaque has been removed from Watson's Dodd. In the cloud yesterday, it really confused me that it wasn't there on the cairn as I was (almost) sure that I was in the right place ! Can anyone confirm that the plaque has gone ?! Cheers.
    Be what you wanna be !

Having recc’ed leg two on Saturday I will attempt to pass on what I found and probably throw up more questions for you seasoned BGers to answer.

I really am a beginner and didnt even know where to set off from, so I parked in the Cricket Club carpark (as it was more or less opposite the turn off the A66 to Threlkeld). Running down the tarmac lane with the sewage works on the right i reached a small house at the end of the tarmac at which point i took to the (very wet) field on my right. After crossing the field I turned left at a gate and was running directly toward Clough Head ridge line, more or less following paralllel to the path through this field until another gate where the fence line angles sharply left I decided I should bear right and go straight up the steep tussocky ground rather than follow the path which seemed to be going around the rear of the mountain.
    The summit was reached after 42 mins which I was pleased with as i was deliberately taking it easy and the BG site suggests nearly an hour if on a 24hr schedule.
    I have read in the BGR ROUTE CHOICES thread that there is an even quicker route up - possibly in between the screes which are behind Threlkeld Knotts. This didnt look very easy to me but would certainly be a little more direct to the summit.

The next few summits seemd to offer little in terms of route options, but after failing to check the map properly I now realise the importance of NOT sticking rigidly to the walkers path as I nearly missed out Watsons Dodd!

Helvelyn and the two Pikes went smoothly but coming down from Dollywagon, again I was guilty of sticking to the path which was impossibly difficult to run down due to the nature of the huge, irregular man made steps. As i neared Grisedale Tarn I realised I would have preferred to run along it’s rear flank (under Seat Sandal). This would have incurred less descent and lead directly to the crossroads up to Fairfield. I have also read about an ascent of Fairfield directly from the Tarn outlet- this will be investigated on my next visit as I didnt have time to run up Fairfield on this occasion.

Fromthe summit of Seat Sandal I guessed at the direction to head to bring me to the layby at the Achille Ratti Bothy and although I got it pretty much spot on, the ground was truly awful, steep, boulder strewn and then “hidden by bracken” boulders. My time from SS summit to the main road was significantly LONGER than a sub 24hr schedule.
    Surely there is a better way down Seat Sandal????

Additionally - does anybody know where I can find the website that gives you a full round time based on the consecutive peaks you have ran? I have been on it in the past but am unable to find it again despite many searches.

At 3 hrs 20 this was one of my longest runs (fell or road). I was quite knackered and can’t imagine how I could ever manage another 20 odd hours! However, I will continue to recce the route and build up my endurance with perhaps an attempt in 2010 0r 2011 (I’ll be 42 in 2011)
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Looks like you had a good day out BA. A few points spring to mind. To help you with a couple of the issues you mentioned, have a look at this - this is the line I took on my round, as traced by my GPS.

- Clough Head - a more direct line between the screes is better and easier than it looks. A trod is now starting to appear.

- Grisedale Tarn - some go to the outlet and up via Cofa Pike but I would wager that most, including me, go round the 'back' of the Tarn and then up and down the west ridge of Fairfield. To go this way come off Dollywaggon using the single boundary post at the top of the main path. There is a distinctive groove in the fell which you can follow down. This is quick and direct. Most BGs go this way.

- Seat Sandal - you want to be coming out at the stile on the dual carriageway rather than the layby near the Achille Ratti hut (which, by the way is a great base for BGRs). The layby should be about 600m on your left when you pop out on thr road. Follow the lay of the land from the summit to the west top and go half right aiming for the north ridge of Steel Fell. Don't descend into the beck on the right. Follow the nose of the fell down to the right where a trod will appear turning into a good path lower down. The ground isn't wonderful in the upper reaches of SS, but if you pick a good line, the 25 mins suggested by the 23.5hr schedule should be easily met. Even in foul weather on recces and in the dark on the round itself I was well inside whilst taking it easy. I think you need to rethink your line off there.

Enjoy the prep and exploring - it's a brilliant part of the build up!

ST

PS - if you need details, don't hesitate to ask via a PM or on the forum where loads of people have got nuggets to share