Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: learning BGR sections

Re: learning BGR sections

Anyone got any reccomendations for touring caravan sites in the Lakes. Stayed at Scotgate site at Braithwaite once
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    So, all in all, having experienced running in the lakeland fells for the first time:
    1, I have GOT to return!!! It's just TOO good! The hills are far too hard!
    2, Thoughts of doing the BG next year might have to be put back a year!
    So, in essence, you are saying that Cumbria is the best place in Britain and you will return time and time again?
    Agree wholeheartedly with you there (Cornwall's good too mind you)

If you are serious about a BGR then we may be able to team up for recces over the winter and next year - how often might you make it up this way?

PS - 5 legs in 5 days? - That was some plan

As long you enjoyed it though, thats the main thing. Sometimes, when driving home from work I stop and marvel at the splendour of my surroundings without even getting out of the van.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bestathlete View Post
    PS - 5 legs in 5 days? - That was some plan
    I know there are walking holidays that split it up that way. Seemed a reasonable idea to take it easy. Just a shame about the weather on Wednesday & Thursday. (Not that my legs complained about the rest!!!)

If you are serious about a BGR then we may be able to team up for recces over the winter and next year - how often might you make it up this way?
    Cheers for that... I'll have to strengthen my legs a bit (read: a LOT) first though! Not sure yet how often I can afford to get up. May sort out some lift sharing with Moo & Huw.

just back from Lakes, where I did my first ever BG "bite-size chunk" last Thursday

also want to apologise publicly to Baggins for wussing out on the intended 10am start and leaving him to trog round the whole of Leg 4 in atrocious conditions

I started about 3:30pm and managed Yewbarrow, RedPike, Scoat Fell (took a nice photo of Steeple, but didn't bother actually running out/back) and Pillar, then back down Black Sail Pass

everything above about 700m was in cloud, but I managed OK and really enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    also want to apologise publicly to Baggins for wussing out on the intended 10am start and leaving him to trog round the whole of Leg 4 in atrocious conditions
    You wouldn't have learnt much about the route if you'd gone with me.

(I'm ignoring all these paths because I'm heading for a grassy ramp, its out there in the mist somewhere. Compass bearing? no no look at the shape of these rocks we're on the right line )

I must admit if I didn't need to get out I wouldn't have set off but I was on nights so couldn't wait till the weather improved.

It did start to clear as I came off Gable, strangely this was when I saw the first walkers of the day
    Bill

Baggins - at least if I'd been with you I wouldn't've gone the wrong way off Pillar... twice!
    at various points I was following what were presumably your footprints from earlier (triangular studs?) - maybe I should practice my tracking skills rather than navigation!

I only saw one couple of hikers (near Red Pike) the whole time I was out - they asked whether I was alright - I replied fine - we both agreed it was a lovely day to be out

Later on in training when you do more than one leg at a time things get easier but the legs can be done on their own.
    As has been mentioned leg 1 is easy - start at Keswick and jog back on the old railway track after Blencathra or catch the bus from Threlkeld.
    Leg 5 is easy if you start from Little Town and go to Honister and back. The road bit can be run out and back on its own if you wish for route finding or just driving it.
    Leg 2 is more tricky but I would start at Dunmail Raise and go to Threkeld. Walk/jog or catch bus back to Keswick. Options then are: bus/hitch back to car that day or stay the night in Keswick leaving the option of reversing the route the next day and picking up car.
    Leg 4 is very feasble to do coming back on moses trod or if this is too much then just drop back down into Wasdale from wherever you get to eg Blacksail or Kirkfell.
    As already mentioned leg 3 is the hardest but you can do an out and back from either end, go for the hitching back to car option or if you can afford the luxury then book a night in a b and b in Wasdale and walk back to your car at Dunmail the next day.

You might be interested in my experiences on wightplodder.blogspot.com
    It has links to swisstoni and fellshoeshuffler excellent blogs as well.

Morning all

Does anyone fancy pacing legs 1 and 2 of our BG attempt this coming weekend ? We are setting off at midnight on Friday on a 23 hr clockwise schedule and are a little short for legs 1 and 2 pacing ! The weather forecast is good so it should be a nice night to be on the fells.

If anyone can help, please drop me an email at [email protected] or call me on 07714 766 179.

Many thanks,

Pete
    Be what you wanna be !

So, in essence, you are saying that Cumbria is the best place in Britain and you will return time and time again?
    Agree wholeheartedly with you there (Cornwall's good too mind you)

Sometimes, when driving home from work I stop and marvel at the splendour of my surroundings without even getting out of the van.
    The Lakes ( and BG ) are great, BUT the hills that were made for runners just have to be the Howgills.

Will be in the lakes on 26th October, staying at Braithwaite. With the family but hoping to reccie at least one leg. Done legs 1 and 5 so fancy a look at any of the other 3. Nice slow plod round, if anyone fancies joining me, get in touch. If i go out on my own i'll probably get lost and be late back and be in trouble..........again
    Hills and Guinness!