Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brits at the TMB 2008

Feet in the Cowclaps

Re: Brits at the TMB 2008

There's a report on the UTMB on ITV Yorkshire (Calendar) this evening apparently.

Super Moderator

Thanks Feet in. Only a short report but more on tomorrow night's prog! I'd love to do this event one year.

I had a shocking effort in this year's race.

I was going pretty well until Courmayeur (got there in the dark). However I was finding it difficult to eat. I then went really slowly up to Refuge Bertone, getting overtaken by 30 or more people. I was falling asleep on my feet and then went for a 30 minute sleep in the sun outside the refuge. This tiredness then really scuppered my plans and meant that I had to climb up to the Big Ferret in the heat of the midday sun.

I was so knackered at La Fouly that I had to stop to sleep by the side of the road for 15 minutes (less than 500m from the checkpoint). I felt like giving up at La Fouly, but carried on, running OK to the base of the Champex climb. Boy, did that go badly wrong! I was passed by maybe 100 people, requiring 2 more 15 minute naps by the side of the path on the way up. By this stage I wasn't even choosing nice grassy bits to sleep on, but would sleep anywhere, however uncomfortable. It was an appalling plod up to Champex. Getting a good time was now furthest from my mind. Even finishing seemed a totally duanting prospect.

Deciding that things couldn't go on like this, I decided that I needed a proper sleep at Champex. I got my head down for 3.5 hours and had some nice pasta both before and after the sleep. I then set off again in the dark (10:50pm). Bovine was a slog, but I kept up with the others. I was suprised that I was the only one running downhill. Things only really perked up at Vallorcine. I'd realised that I'd had a pretty awful run from Courmayeur and decided I wanted to finish on a high note. I was feeling more awake and stormed up to Flegere with my iPod on (which made a huge difference). There was no stopping me on the way down and I got into Chamonix at 9:16am.

Really pleased to finish: it only seemed barely possible at one stage. Pretty disappointed with the overall result (432nd). Pleased to come out of it uninjured. I now have a lot of motivation to do well in the last two races of the Vasque series: try to rescue something from the latter part of the running year.

I was really pleased to see Andy Rankin (my Three Peaks Yacht Race partner this year) come in as first British male and to see Lucy Colquhon (Team Vasque) winning the ladies CCC. Matt Davis also had a storming run.

Congratulations to everyone who finished.

Very well done on sticking with it Zlod. I sincerely admire your persistence. From last year, I know how you must have felt. Its totally dispiriting to be passed by streams of people. This year I had a good run even though I felt sick most of the second half. Went well up Bovine, but just couldn't push it from Catogne onwards because I felt so sick.

Real Ale Man - I felt the same about the Aiguilles Rouges section. I got stranded on my own coming down and plodded. this section adds 1-2 hours to last year's times in my view.

I won't be doing this again in the foreseeable future as its too much of a commitment, but would like to make a film of it from a runner's perspective some time. anyone fancy starring?

Well done to all the Brits who got round - and a special mention to Lizzie - what a performance!!

Zlod - I wondered why you were where you were when I saw you coming down into Cham as I was running up to La Flegier to meet a pal. Sounds like you had a tough time out there - well done for sticking with it - Bon Courage as they say.

I was there on holiday this year after running it last year and really enjoyed the atmosphere. Made me want to sign up again for next year.

Hey Saz - you'd love the new finish - just when you want it all to end (90 miles in) they send you up a nice 800 meter climb before allowing you back to Cham.

What do you guys think about the Spanish lad running with no kit? Worthy winner or cheater?

Just need to get in for next year to experience it!

Re the Spanish guy, 2 years ago Mark R changed to a bumbag for the last section of the race, getting everything in that was needed, so it can be done, but you are pushing it on the waterproofs bit

Lad is the description for Kilian Jornet he is only 20... and he won very convinsingly. Makes a change from a 50+ winner. There is someone how could give Billys BG record a good run for the money. Not bad on a pair of skis aparently either...

Ifor

I started well I thought, got to Cormayeur after 12 hrs and was happy enough, the descent to there was harsh and I was starting to ache, but felt things were going OK. The problem was, foolishly, I didn't drink enough in the night section, maybe the cool temps meant I didn't feel the need to drink, but also the dry air up high sucked it out of me, anyway as soon as I ran over the shadow line into the sunlight I died. Kept going to La Fouly but decided to call it a day.

I was having dizzy spells, black spots in my vision, had stopped sweating, started shivvering and was struggling to think clearly (converting km > miles etc). Dissapointed and annoyed at myself, not for dropping out, but for getting dehydrated on the night section, I'm sure that was a key factor in me getting so hammered by the 30+ heat. Maybe if I'd stopped for longer at Cormayeur or the town at the base of Col Du Ferret I may have had time to rehydrate enough, I'm not sure. But once I'd got to that state I'm not sure carrying on was wise. I sat for an hour at La Fouly and tried to get going a few times but was still feeling 'not there' (hard to explain, and light headed. Supposedly severe dehydration causes a drop in blood pressure so that may explain the black spots and dizzy spells. Going up the Grand Col I was literrally doing 10 yards at a time and crouching down.

I was still in plenty of time 20 hrs gone I think, but even the next day things weren't right, still a bit light headed.

Anyway I enjoyed the first 14 hrs or so and thought it was a great event, unfinished business for sure. Gutted to drop out, still going over and over in my mind if I did the right thing and guess I'll never know for sure. Annoying thing is I just don't feel that tired or sore in the legs/feet, like I just couldn't get going despite covering nearly 70 miles and 20,000ft of ascent. Went out for a long hill walk yesterday and ran today and my legs just aren't sore in comparison to post my WHW and PBR runs.

Oh supposedly the guy who won carried nothing, his pacer carried his rucksack, my wife watched him run in. From what I heard he got a 30 minute (2 x 15 min penalty).

I saw quite a few with just bumbags, I think it's just possible.

Bad time mate! Sorry to hear your story

I remember chatting to you in Courmayeur, and then you came storming past me up the hill, I then saw you for the last time near the top of Ferret having a blow-out – sorry to hear things went badly wrong after that. All I’d say is don’t persevere trying to analyse it anymore, you’ll just annoy yourself more. It sounds like a gradual dehadridation caused exhaustion and that is hard to recover from in the short term so probably a sensible move to throw the towel in, rather than be a rescue case! Start planning the next project, how about a winter BG??? – they’re good fun – more exciting than in summer!

I made it round but was in suffering varying amounts of pain from Grand Col Ferret onwards – bad knee, feet, chaffing etc…. These all seem the norm for the UTMB.

I am still limping around today, and will rest for a while, might even take up fishing for a change, or at least get some homebrew on the go now…