Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Brits at the TMB 2008

Re: Brits at the TMB 2008

Were you the guy who was sick leaving Cormayeur?

I was a level up from (I think) you in the forest on the climb out and could hear you hurling for Britain, so brilliant going to recover from that.

Martin, you did well to wake up again at Champex. See you at Pumlumon if you are not doing the Bullock this w/e

I can't believe they didn't disqualify the winner. They had him on Video running up to col de motets carrying no water and hardly any kit - he may have had a water proof stuffed down his vest.
    He is obviously a fantastic runner but to cheat your way round with pacers etc is totally against the event. If all you get is a 15 minute penalty it would be worth doing it BG style and taking the time penalty - now there's a thought!
    Shame they didn't have the strength to do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by amadablam View Post
    I can't believe they didn't disqualify the winner. They had him on Video running up to col de motets carrying no water and hardly any kit - he may have had a water proof stuffed down his vest.
    He is obviously a fantastic runner but to cheat your way round with pacers etc is totally against the event. If all you get is a 15 minute penalty it would be worth doing it BG style and taking the time penalty - now there's a thought!
    Shame they didn't have the strength to do the right thing.
    surely it is unfair to call someone a cheat based on hearsay and rumor spread by those who should know better. there is a letter on the utmb site by michael polletti that makes the whole situation very clear if anyone is interested.....i say well done kilian jorlet

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Were you the guy who was sick leaving Cormayeur?

I was a level up from (I think) you in the forest on the climb out and could hear you hurling for Britain, so brilliant going to recover from that.
    Yes that was me being ill- the bolagnese did not go down well in Coumayuer. Had to live of sweets and cola for while after that.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewaller View Post
    surely it is unfair to call someone a cheat based on hearsay and rumor spread by those who should know better. there is a letter on the utmb site by michael polletti that makes the whole situation very clear if anyone is interested.....i say well done kilian jorlet
    Where?

I don't understand it all, but I know for a fact that at the end he was still being paced and had someone carrying a rucksack. He may have been carrying a bumbag, but the guy who ran with him carried provisions. From what I heard he suffered a time penalty, but then he still used pacers later on.

A cracking runner, but I do think the organisers should have been stronger. 15 minutes was nothing, especially as this is now the record.

OK found it, that doesn't explain that he again used pacers after that infringement. I can see that you could push the gear into a waiste pack, especially if a pacer carried water and food. Still 20 hrs incredible.

The problem with this, and this is one of the reasons that Darwa Sherpa (2nd) got the biggest cheer of the day at the presentation, is that he new the rules and chose to push them to the limit and at times beyond, this makes you think how and to what degree he has done this when he wasn't watched / filmed. It brings his honsty into question. One thing you can't doubt though is that he is an amazing runner.

I agree with ama dablam. Kilian Jornet is obviously a brilliant ultra runner - almost in a different class - but he knew the rules and chose to break them. I agree with him that you didn't need a cag, spare batteries, food, water, bandage, etc, but the rules said you had to carry them. If there had been no rules I wouldn't have bothered with a cag in that weather either. If there's one person who needs to abide by the rules its the winner and the organisers need to enforce the rules properly to ensure credibility. Whats the point of rules if you can break them? In my view, they were too scared to illiminate him so just exacted a time penalty. No amount of excuses can alter the fact that he broke the rules and the stated penalties for doing so weren't applied.