Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Brits at the TMB 2008

Re: Brits at the TMB 2008

Well, I'm in a different league compared to you guys (is it still the Conference?) and saw things from the back of the race. Going in, my biggest worry was getting timed out at Les Contamines, so I was pleased to be making up time on the published schedule for a 46hr finish. The wheels came off on the climb up the Col de la Seigne - started feeling sick; started retching; was sick 2-3 times; no energy in the legs so it was 100m progress then take a rest, etc. Threw up spectacularly at the top of the Col and felt much better on the descent, but was getting nicely dehydrated. Tried to drink and eat something at Lac Combal cp but I hadn't gone far when I brought it all back up again. Carried on to Courmayeur, and convinced myself I would be timed out there. In fact, I got in with 15mins to spare but needed to have more time to re-fuel and let the food settle before trying to get up to Ref Bertone, and I'd also lost my time buffer so would have been chasing the cut-off at Arnuva.

So, retired at Courmayeur. But I have enought points to enter the ballot for next year and can't wait to go back. It's an awesome event. I spent Sunday in the square in Chamonix watching runners come in and it was fantastic how many were able to muster a sprint finish.

Memories? Running into St Gervais on Friday night, hi-5ing the kids lining the streets, and all the encouragement from the crowds; the atmosphere at ND de la Gorge and Nant Borrant, heading up to the Col du Bonhomme; seeing the line of head torches as far as you could see in front and behind, like an LED light rope draped over the side of the valley - beautiful, but the torches just merged with the stars at the top of the col!

Forgot to say, nice to meet Alan, Matt, Iain and others on the Thursday night. Congrats to those who made it round, and commiserations to those who didn't.

Totally gutted.
    After completing the 2005 tour in 38. 31. This time I set my sights on a good time 34 hours ish with about an extra Scafell pike thrown in for this year. After the drizzly weather last time I wanted a nice day of scenery. I got that but ended up whishing I had the drizzly rain.
    I felt good upto Cormayeur but after this started to struggle a bit up to refuge Bertone and along to Arnuva in the heat. Struggled up Grand Col Ferret in the midday sun and missed the water stop at Peule, this was to be a big mistake. Taking small amounts of water out of streams wasn’t enough and by Fouly I was feeling sick. A fellow runner, Ian, I think rescued me with a magic potion and I kept going upto Champex were I felt terrible again, I knew dehydration had its grip now. This was the end for me. Dehydrated and feeling rough, this was my first true quit on a run.
    With hindsight I should have had a kip at Champex. I had time for an 8 hour sleep (if they had allowed me) and I would still have had a couple of hours to spare on the cut offs. I will be back for another go as soon as possible. Armed with salt tablets and poles (if you can’t beat em join em).
    It was great to meat all you competitors (mostlylurking etc)the night before and I loved the experience. I will enter next year’s race and pray that I am one of the lucky ones to get in. No quitting next time. I will be armed with a back up strategy, just to finish.

Hi Alan,
    It was me at La Fouly with the magic potion! I wish I'd given you another one at Champex - although you did look pretty pale (well completely white actually) when we spoke again at Champex.

I am very lucky as my wife has an MSc in Sports Nutrition and runs a nutrition business www.inside-out-nutrition.co.uk

As part of my preparation/training she looked at the route and the timings between check points for my estimated running time. The difficulty was in knowing what was actually available at the checkpoints - food/drink wise.

She then calculated a feeding and drinking programme that she put onto a card so that in my befuddled state I would remember! I checked the card at each cp to see what I needed to eat/drink and pick up. The card worked a treat and I got stronger and stronger through the race moving steadily through the field from 830th down to 225th to finish in 34hrs 49mins. I also carried 1.5 L of fluid rather than the basic 1L required (or nothing if you were the race winner?) The extra fluid was in view of the time I was likely to take between cp's and the absorbtion rates for water/fluid.

For a race of the length of the UTMB I regarded the feeding plan as a major part of my overall preparation - especially because of the likely temperatures. Crossing the start line fit and fueled was only the start, as too many Brits found out the race plan has to build in what you need to keep moving in the conditions. I get her advice on shorter races too - as soon as I know that I will need to eat on route.

Ultimately this time I just wanted to finish as I had based a family holiday around the race, maybe I will go for a time in 2009?

Simon

I've posted a few pics at http://johnfleetwood.smugmug.com/gallery/5889212_scyGc

Courtesy of my son and wife!

I also had a walking holiday beforehand and reckon it was good preparation. Felt much better after 2 weeks off work. Did the walkers haute route plus 6 peaks with my 7 year old son, ben. Can thoroughly recommend this in its own right and also as preparation. Pictures at http://johnfleetwood.smugmug.com/gallery/5889601_4nGYA

What an amazing experience! It was my first time, I'd hoped to be a bit quicker but in the end finishing was all that mattered.
    It was good to meet some of you in Chamonix, hopefully catch up at some other races.
    I've posted a report and slideshow HERE
    Richie

Fantastic photos Runningham.

I really want to do this event. Looks fantastic. I think I've just found my next challenge.

And many congratulation to all who took part and finished.

DB

Yes brilliant slideshow - a great job of capturing the atmosphere.

Does anyone know the exact number of starters. Saw a figure in the local paper of 2337 I think - can anyone verify that.

From the North Face:

UTMB
    of which Women:
    Starters 2383 173 7,3%
    Abandons 1114 47% 92
    Finishers 1269 53% 81 6,4%

CCC
    of which Women:
    Starters 2033 287 14,1%
    Abandons 715 35% 99
    Finishers 1318 65% 188 14,3%