Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: sacked

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    The first opportunity might not be until then end of 2024, which has probably featured in Boris' decision.
    Indeed. With his majority, Boris will need to upset a lot more than the 40 Tory MPs who have asked for Cummings to be removed, before Boris himself is in any danger. And of course those Tories who have gained previously safe Labour seats in places like County Durham (to take a completely random example ) won't be in a hurry for an early General Election.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Indeed. With his majority, Boris will need to upset a lot more than the 40 Tory MPs who have asked for Cummings to be removed, before Boris himself is in any danger. And of course those Tories who have gained previously safe Labour seats in places like County Durham (to take a completely random example ) won't be in a hurry for an early General Election.
    Don't be so sure about the majority.

There are millions of floating voters who change very quickly.

No way will we get to 2024 for the next election. History tells us in crisis we vote more.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    The first opportunity might not be until then end of 2024, which has probably featured in Boris' decision.
    Indeed, when the Conservatives are certain to win again because of historical swings and forthcoming boundary changes.

To understand Boris one needs to understand that he has believed, since Eton, that to be Prime Minister was his destiny.

And the statesman he most admires is Churchill - hence the biography he [or his research assistants] wrote.

So if he had asked me what should he do about Cummings and the slime ball media I would have said "Ask yourself what Churchill would have done - and then "Stand Firm!""

Or do we want Emily Maitless and the BBC running the country?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 28-05-2020 at 07:11 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    The difference between the media treatment of Cummings and Corbyn is not party-political bias, it's just the fact that Cummings is at the centre of government whereas Corbyn is now totally irrelevant. Cast your mind back to the Blair years, when Alistair Campbell (his nearest equivalent of Cummings) got just as much vitriol from the media.

Cummings could have showed a bit of contrition, and explained that he was feeling desperate and made a hasty decision which may not have been the right one; people might have felt some sympathy with him as a fellow human. Instead he carried on with his arrogant insistence that he had done nothing wrong; so there remains no evidence to support the proposition that Dominic Cummings is a human being. Worse still, Boris supported him in this; Boris had got a lot of public sympathy for behaving well when he himself had Covid, and that probably helped to make the public comply with the guidance. Now Boris has lost all that political capital, as the opinion polls are showing.

For two men whose reputations are for great political astuteness, this is a remarkable turn-around: the triumph of arrogance over astuteness.
    If Muddy, Oracle and Witton had summarised like you in paragraph two Mr Kay I'd be less irritated.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    If Muddy, Oracle and Witton had summarised like you in paragraph two Mr Kay I'd be less irritated.
    Why should he apologise? He did what he thought was best for his family
    The police have no issue with the journey to Durham.

By many public sector standards Cummings is a hero:
    he caught COVID actually DOING the job of government he is paid to do, not shirking at home on full pay like many of them.

Contrast labour MPs going to birthday parties, corbyn taking his wife in the commons with no excuse for lockdown breach. Corbyn having family parties, and going on mass bike rides.

Contrast that odious prick from SNP driving to Skye instead of staying at his residence in London.

Contrast an army of journalists in huddles driving to Barnard castle and Durham.
    All breaking lockdown and distancing.

Alastair Campbell taking selfies with others.

But only Cummings attracts your attention. There was I thinking you were objective CL. Not any more.

You dislike Cummings. We get it. Don’t pretend it is about covid.
    Last edited by Oracle; 30-05-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Why should he apologise? He did what he thought was best for his family
    The police have no issue with the journey to Durham.

By many public sector standards Cummings is a hero:
    he caught COVID actually DOING the job of government he is paid to do, not shirking at home on full pay like many of them.

Contrast labour MPs going to birthday parties, corbyn taking his wife in the commons with no excuse for lockdown breach. Corbyn having family parties, and going on mass bike rides.

Contrast that odious prick from SNP driving to Skye instead of staying at his residence in London.

Contrast an army of journalists in huddles driving to Barnard castle and Durham.
    All breaking lockdown and distancing.

Alastair Campbell taking selfies with others.

But only Cummings attracts your attention. There was I thinking you were objective CL. Not any more.

You dislike Cummings. We get it. Don’t pretend it is about covid.
    Oracle I can't get my head around it. If I was in the position of Cummings and those doctors or medical advisors I'd make sure I was never in breach of my OWN rules. Because you'd have to lack any sense of self awareness to believe you wouldn't get caught.

If Cummings had told the truth and not made up such a silly story like Mr Kay said I'd have sympathy for him, particularly as he is a brexiteer. But he's just another sleazy politician who thinks the rules don't apply to him. He's left himself to the mercy of the press and the witch hunt. In that respect he's only got himself to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    I'd make sure I was never in breach of my OWN rules.
    and he did that.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    and he did that.
    Not entirely true.

The castle trip was a clear breech in anyones book.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Not entirely true.

The castle trip was a clear breech in anyones book.
    Not in Durham Police's book.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Not in Durham Police's book.
    That's a political issue. The moral issue to the vast majority of voters is he broke the rules.

I agree about the gutter press and media, but his hypocrisy, arrogance and conference did nothing for his credibility as a man or political adviser.