Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: sacked

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    What did shine through was the outright hostility of the media representatives, who clearly hate Cummings with a passion and not for his actions in going to Durham.
    The media hate him, loads of MPs hate him, he can't be all bad then.
    What he did may not have been the best move, in retrospect perhaps he should have notified and got clearance from number 10 or similar? Was there anyone in number 10 then?
    Hindsight is a great thing, but when your family is coming down with a virus that kills and you have no idea if, when or how you will all come through it you do what you think is best - decision is made there and then.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Banned
    We had a rough time in February with flu like symptoms. No way would we have been in a car for 5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    but there must be many people in the same position as Cummings and his wife who didn’t realise such an option was available to them given the relentless stay at home message.
    One parent ill, vomiting, feeling faint, the other parent working with people falling to COVID in his close working environment, a child of 4 with special needs, available family support at the other end of the country at the time.

Not sure that would tick the box of "many" MR.

What I would say is that there has been much debate on here, as well as elsewhere among the general public and even the coppers about what is and isn't appropriate and some of us have advised to look at the guidance, consider it, and make decisions as you see fit.
    I think he did that.
    Others may have come to different opinions in similar circumstances because their situation was different and/or they interpreted the guidance in a different way.
    That doesn't make anyone wrong.

If I have one reservation about his statement, it is the explanation of his drive out to Barnard Castle.
    If he'd been cleared to come back to work in London and wanted to check he was OK to drive generally, fine. I'd have had issues in the past with my back and have taken a short test journey to make sure I felt confident to take a longer drive.
    But back is not eyesight. However, he's faced far more scrutiny than two MPs accused of lockdown breaking and under that scrutiny, I'll cut him some slack - we've seen many have "mis-spoken" of late in the glare of the media.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 26-05-2020 at 10:13 AM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    One parent ill, vomiting, feeling faint, the other parent working with people falling to COVID in his close working environment, a child of 4 with special needs, available family support at the other end of the country at the time.

Not sure that would tick the box of "many" MR.

What I would say is that there has been much debate on here, as well as elsewhere among the general public and even the coppers about what is and isn't appropriate and some of us have advised to look at the guidance, consider it, and make decisions as you see fit.
    I think he did that.
    Others may have come to different opinions in similar circumstances because their situation was different and/or they interpreted the guidance in a different way.
    That doesn't make anyone wrong.

If I have one reservation about his statement, it is the explanation of his drive out to Barnard Castle.
    If he'd been cleared to come back to work in London and wanted to check he was OK to drive generally, fine. I'd have had issues in the past with my back and have taken a short test journey to make sure I felt confident to take a longer drive.
    But back is not eyesight. However, he's faced far more scrutiny than two MPs accused of lockdown breaking and under that scrutiny, I'll cut him some slack - we've seen many have "mis-spoken" of late in the glare of the media.
    Two MPs?
    Are you including Corbyn in that?
    Took his wife into the commons in violation of lockdown leave home reasons.
    Potentially threatening remaining staff there?
    Barely a ripple in the media about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Two MPs?
    Are you including Corbyn in that?
    Took his wife into the commons in violation of lockdown leave home reasons.
    Potentially threatening remaining staff there?
    Barely a ripple in the media about it.
    No, I was referring to Stephen Kinnock and Tahir Ali. I'm sure there are more and yes I'm aware that questions were asked about Corbyn's attendance in the Commons generally, but also was it his wife attending his last PMQs and being allowed in the gallery, which was I assume closed to the public at the time.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    No, I was referring to Stephen Kinnock and Tahir Ali. I'm sure there are more and yes I'm aware that questions were asked about Corbyn's attendance in the Commons generally, but also was it his wife attending his last PMQs and being allowed in the gallery, which was I assume closed to the public at the time.
    Starmer has just lost his integrity, with the call for cummings resignation.
    Since there are at three cases in his own party, on which he did nothing.
    Last edited by Oracle; 26-05-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Thats pre-supposing that any politician that makes it to the top of the greasy pole has one shred of integrity left!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    It is increasingly appearing that Boris has one very good reason to sack Dominic Cummings: self-interest. Cummings has dragged Boris's government into disrepute; he has become an electoral liability.

Of course, if Boris doesn't want to lose his preferred adviser, there is a precedent: Sajid Javid resigned from high office rather than losing his Special Adviser.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    It is increasingly appearing that Boris has one very good reason to sack Dominic Cummings: self-interest. Cummings has dragged Boris's government into disrepute; he has become an electoral liability.

Of course, if Boris doesn't want to lose his preferred adviser, there is a precedent: Sajid Javid resigned from high office rather than losing his Special Adviser.
    The best alternative is to carry on. The handling of Peston today was brilliant by Hancock. One of my moments of the whole series of press conferences.
    I'd even consider scaling back the press at these conferences and giving more slots up to the public.

There seems to be two choices.

The elected Govt runs the country and they chose who they want to work with them.

or

Piers Morgan, Beth Rigby, and the rest of the press pack run the country.

I sense this is a really important issue and everyone should be mindful not to just pick a side because of political affiliation.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Or a third possibility.
    The elected government runs the country, decides who and where.
    The government rightly Ignore the journalists.

Only to find the wasters that run the teachers unions stick two fingers up at the government parents, AND The electorate, aided and abetted by councils like Liverpool who state the intention to ignore the government mandate on school reopening, decide their own schedule.

Return No doubt coinciding with start of school hols if they can get away with it.
    They have scaled new heights by even managing to piss off labour grandees, who are telling them to get back to work. Ruining more kids education every day.

It is the moral hazard of paying teachers full pay to stay at home. Perhaps the teachers might like to consider they would all have starved if the food industry had the same attitude problem as them.

The best alternative is to carry on. The handling of Peston today was brilliant by Hancock. One of my moments of the whole series of press conferences.
    I'd even consider scaling back the press at these conferences and giving more slots up to the public.

There seems to be two choices.

The elected Govt runs the country and they chose who they want to work with them.

or

Piers Morgan, Beth Rigby, and the rest of the press pack run the country.

I sense this is a really important issue and everyone should be mindful not to just pick a side because of political affiliation.