Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wainwright 7

Re: Wainwright 7

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    How does Birkett divide his fells? Or is it just one big compendium of fells, his may be the way to go if you feel that the old man should be included. Failing that how about taking in the highest summit of each of the big lakeland massifs, which off the top of my head would be
    Old Man
    Scafell Pike
    Great Gable
    Dale Head
    Grassmoor
    Skiddaw
    Blencathra
    Helvellyn
    High Raise
    Fairfield
    and High Street.
    Not a definitive list just a suggestion.
    It could be argued that Pillar should be included in that, but it could be argued to be part of the southern arm of great gable, as argued by wainwright that the High Stile and Pillar ridges are pokes from the centre of a wheel. Plus you'd get more hills climbed.
    Hmmmmm....... I'll give this a serious thought when back from holiday. It sounds like a good challenge.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU View Post
    It would have been more sensible if Wainwright had included Scafell Pike in the Central Fells (where it belongs), thereby making Coniston Old Man the highest hill in the Southern Fells (which it is). That way you could have ditched High Raise and included Coniston Old Man instead.
    certainly it spoils the route to do high raise and coniston old man. ditching high raise and replacing with coniston would make it better in my view. like the idea of trundling round trundlers round.

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Hmmmmm....... I'll give this a serious thought when back from holiday. It sounds like a good challenge.
    Yiannis
    I'm glad someone will benefit from my idea

I'd be interested to see distance/climbing stats, but looking at the map tonight I think a round including all 11 of Graeme's summits would be too long for most folk.

Doing it as a point to point (eg starting at Coniston, finishing at Mardale/Haweswater/Pooley Bridge) could be more realistic and it could then be given the title of "TRUNDLER'S TRAVERSE"
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Quote Originally Posted by blencathrafrommykitchen View Post
    Doing it as a point to point (eg starting at Coniston, finishing at Mardale/Haweswater/Pooley Bridge) could be more realistic and it could then be given the title of "TRUNDLER'S TRAVERSE"
    (off you go Trundler)

Borrowing from the original non-BG thread...
    Another Wainwright-related challenge would be the 'Cardinal Wainwights' (inspired by Mike Cudahy's Cardinal Munros of a few years back). This involves the most Southerly (Coniston Old Man), the most Westerly [Grike], the most Northerly (Binsey) and the most Easterly (er, er, Grey Crag - Longsleddale)
    ... how about finishing in Longsleddale? (ignoring the other Cardinals as being outliers)

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by blencathrafrommykitchen View Post
    I agree a point to point does seem more sensible, giving that there could be a lot of 'dead' space between the final and first peak, or at least two of the peaks depending on where you started from. In order to keep a realistic distance I suspect a finish at Haweswater. I suspect a full round would be longer than a BG, and to be honest I'm not entirely sure of the route one would need to take.

the trouble with most extensions is that although they are more inclusive, for me, they often spoil the route. In my book a good route means a fairly logical line, no major out and backs and a circuit that flows naturally. They might be harder, but not necessarily better. I think its usually better to exclude some summits and keep to a nice line. For example I was looking at the Rigby round in the cairngorms and couldn't help thinking that it must be possible to come up with a more pleasing route but that might mean omitting a summit or two. I'll work on that one.

rob - grey crag from longsleddale is a nice teatime or lunch run for me - much nicer than a contrived route between the other cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU View Post
    It would have been more sensible if Wainwright had included Scafell Pike in the Central Fells (where it belongs), thereby making Coniston Old Man the highest hill in the Southern Fells (which it is). That way you could have ditched High Raise and included Coniston Old Man instead.
    At the end of the day, for this particular challenge, we are stuck with the way that Wainwright divided up Lakeland in his own mind. The brilliant thing about the concept and FMA's completion of this round is that it has got you all THINKING OUT OF THE BOX and devizing your own criteria for a tough day out in the Lakes, rather than settling for a group of hills that B.G. "cherry picked" without any discernable criteria as to why it should have been those 42.
    Another suggestion that I saw listed in a magazine some years ago was a list of Lakeland "Corbetts" - tops over 750m with 150m clear ascent on all sides - I think that there were 37 of them but would guess that they would be far flung enough to be outwith 24 hours for most contenders.

There's mention of the Lakes 2500's here:
    http://www.frcc.co.uk/fell/index.htm#29
    Although this is a longer list than 'just' the Corbetts.

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    At the end of the day, for this particular challenge, we are stuck with the way that Wainwright divided up Lakeland in his own mind. The brilliant thing about the concept and FMA's completion of this round is that it has got you all THINKING OUT OF THE BOX and devizing your own criteria for a tough day out in the Lakes..
    Yes! When we all start thinking like this it makes you realise just how much scope for original long distance challenges there still is, even in the "done to death" Lake District!

As for Trundlers Round or Traverse... well all this talk is very inspirational. It might be worth me proving to myself - yet again - that my ultra-distance talent is extremely limited ..