Thread: race maps

race maps

Hi
    I'm planning on going up to the lakes for a weekend sometime in September and walking (with my non-running partner) a couple of the Lakeland Classics routes with a view to running them next year. Is it worth getting hold of the race maps? Are they useful in terms, for example, of showing best lines? Do people use them? Or are they just a money-making gimmick?
    Also, there seem to be 2 competing versions, those available from Lakes Runner and the Pete Bland/Harvey ones. Any views on which are best?

Re: race maps

Quote Originally Posted by this is my real name View Post
    Hi
    I'm planning on going up to the lakes for a weekend sometime in September and walking (with my non-running partner) a couple of the Lakeland Classics routes with a view to running them next year. Is it worth getting hold of the race maps? Are they useful in terms, for example, of showing best lines? Do people use them? Or are they just a money-making gimmick?
    Also, there seem to be 2 competing versions, those available from Lakes Runner and the Pete Bland/Harvey ones. Any views on which are best?
    They are both ok, and well worth a look at in conjunction with an OS map. Enjoy!!
    Going to try again....

Re: race maps

I find them pretty useful, particularly on a race, when you don't want to be fannying around with folding maps and working out where you are on the map. Just look at the big yellow line.

The maps show racing lines, but tend to err on the side of caution to show easy to navigate lines rather than neccessarily the fastest line. The descriptions on the back are handy as well.

I find the Lakes Runners Maps clearer, but thats because they lack the detail of the Harvey maps, so it's swings and roundabouts. As for value for money, it's not too bad, but it starts adding up if you wanted to collect them all.

Amex, don't you need to change your location for full bragging rights?