Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: pressure

Re: pressure

Some more info here

I know the Margaret (Fixtures Sec) does contact any new race organiser and go through what is expected.

Cheers Brett,

the guidance notes contain some good stuff, but there's only so much you can convey in 4 sides of A4. Or maybe people don't bother reading them?

Banned

Cheers Brett.

I have to go to Turkey now for my yearly warm weather sessions.

I will be in touch when I return.

PS I may give you a sneak pre-view of the route

Quote Originally Posted by grimmer View Post
    I was gonna post a thread, but I think this one is topical enough...

I'm really lucky to live in the Peak District. I know because I don't have to drive far for work or play. I started running just over a year ago, and the way to run round here is off road - lots of tracks, bridleways, footpaths and access land. And the races! This time of year it's fantastic, there are so many.
    Every village has a carnival, or a well dressing week or just a party for the sake of it and there's usually a fell race. I've just started to re-run the races I ran last year with the occasional better time, but what I've noticed more is that along with the enthusiasm of the local carnival organisers,
    there's a recurrence of problems that, first time round, I thought was just bad luck.

The point I'm raising may be a problem specific to the geographic area, but it is most definately a problem. Two nights ago, the race ended, those runners still on the field gathered round for the prize-giving and the announcement was made that... the full results weren't available, the computer battery had expired and there ensued rather a confused presentation. Similarly, full results for some races are never made available after the event, despite the FRA site having just the slot available for them.

Now don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate the work and effort which goes into the organisation of all my local races, but I find myself cringing when presentations are made to the wrong people, gaps on the results boards, etc.

For a race organiser to be covered by the FRA insurance, is it just simply a case of the race appearing in the calendar?
    What checks are made on organisers, or guidance given for prospective organisers?

I think the problem we have locally in the Peak is that many of the 'carnival' races are organised by carnival committees, and the only experience these organisers have is on their own race, once a year. Basically, they don't organise enough or often
    enough to have the experience to put on smoothly run races.

I'm not suggesting that these races are withdrawn, far from it, but does the FRA offer courses/guidance notes for potential organisers
    pointing out common problems and how these can be avoided? As runners, we have an understanding of how a race should be to participate in - some of the organisers themselves perhaps don't have this insight.

There are some fantastically well organised and run races out there, can the wealth of this experience be pooled and packaged up to help less experienced organisers?
    Greg,
    As you probably know, mostly most of our "local" stuff ends up here http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~temples/hc/, thanks to SteveT and those that send him their results/stuff/links.... we have a lot to thank Steve for, most folks I talk to, find it a very valuable resource.
    Plus, the FRA peops' (Brett & Co') are very good at posting results via the FRA site, for races which are FRA registered... there are also multitude of Club/Village/Event sites which publish results...
    All that said I take your point, and invariably it's the results you really want which can't be found... Dhowwwwhhh!
    PS Keep up the running!
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Reusable numbers
    pins
    tape - for marking out
    start sheets
    finish sheets
    pens
    two way radios, if you want
    waterproof clipboards
    clipboards for signing on
    elastic bands
    lost property
    30 or so plastic stakes for course marking
    bluetak errrr

and loads of other crap
    Blumming heck Brett, I must get a bigger box, Mine used to have matches in.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmer View Post
    but I find myself cringing when presentations are made to the wrong people, gaps on the results boards, etc.
    The best system I have seen is also the simplest, it was at Glaramara, one of Scoffers Races. Just a big plastic board with a grid on it. As the runner finished a sticky label was put on it with name, time, age category. It meant we could all see it straight away, mistakes are easily spotted, and it was easy to see finished where.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    The best system I have seen is also the simplest, it was at Glaramara, one of Scoffers Races. Just a big plastic board with a grid on it. As the runner finished a sticky label was put on it with name, time, age category. It meant we could all see it straight away, mistakes are easily spotted, and it was easy to see finished where.
    I agree Ian, this is used by Westies at our Kilpatricks and Arrochar races, fill in the sticker when registering and then someone just adds the time and sticks it up pretty much as folk cross the line. It may be hard in races with big numbers and where lots finish at the same time, but for small local races seems to work well, no need for fancy electronica on the hills.

Jason
    Is it meant to be this hard?

Master and MR

At our race there is a yellow line painted on the deck and as i told them to get behind it one racing snake said the course is illegal as when you put us behind the line is makes it loneger than the stated 4.4mls