Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NB RX Terrain vs Walsh

NB RX Terrain vs Walsh

I'm after some new fell shoes, and am wondering what to get. I love the Walshes I have but have only had them 4 months and the soles are falling off, is this a problem with all walshes or is it just because I bought the racer type rather than the trainer type? I've seen the New Balance RX Terrain which look good, just after your thoughts!

Re: NB RX Terrain vs Walsh

I have quite wide feet and the RX Terrains come in 2 width fittings which is great. Quality is pretty good, never had them fall apart.

I also have a pair of the new Walsh Ultras (wide fitting) but they don't seem to fit like the old Walshes used to.

Now the bad news, I think they have stopped making the RX Terrain

Quote Originally Posted by rdb77uk View Post
    I'm after some new fell shoes, and am wondering what to get. I love the Walshes I have but have only had them 4 months and the soles are falling off,
    What mileage is that? I get 2-3 months out of a pair generally. I tend to get 150-200 miles out of my walshes before the sole wears down to a slick, but they've never failed anywear, just wear down fast. Jura hammered my last pair though.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    What mileage is that? I get 2-3 months out of a pair generally. I tend to get 150-200 miles out of my walshes before the sole wears down to a slick, but they've never failed anywear, just wear down fast. Jura hammered my last pair though.
    Roughly 30-45 miles a week. The tread is fine, just the soles are hanging off. Really like walshes, have tried Inov8s but seem a bit hard on the soles.

Do you wash your walshes or do you just leave them "au naturalle"? Just thinking that this might have effected the glue.

Anyone come across New Balance RX1441 - theyre a ridiculous looking orange and blue (with gaiters!!) - see the New Balance website

http://www.newbalance.co.uk/2005/Pro...-MenRun1.shtml

I normally wear New Balance on the road cos they've do narrow fittings but
    a. NB RX Terrain don't do a size 13 and
    b. most other fell shoes are on the wide side for me

It occurs to me that these shoes are so bizarre that
    a. some shops might have ordered a size 13 which they can't sell and are offering at a knock down price and
    b. they'd be just right for someone as bizarre as me!

Smile Re: NB RX Terrain vs Walsh

the rx terrain were the best pair of shoes i ever owned,they lasted so long i wore the soles flat and they had still not started falling apart. the bad news is when i went to replace them they have discontinued. but if you can still find a pair i highly recommend them. they were so comfortable i bought mine at a 12 mile race and wore them staight off with no blistering at all.

Smile Re: NB RX Terrain vs Walsh

I'm sorry but if those New Balance RX1441 were the last fell shoes available I'd have to wear through the skin on the soles of my feet first, and even then I'd consider giving fell running up first (as if!)

NB RX-terrain on sale for £35 in the Shap factory shop last Saturday morning. I don't know if they have a full range of sizes as I had also heard that they're discontinued, so maybe just selling off what's left.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

I recently got a pair of Running Bear Gladiators for a knock-down price as part of a shop's clear-out. These are a very traditional style and as far as I can see are quite similar to the Walshes - anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm still new to fell-running (I'll still be claiming that in years to come providing I last!) but they are top-notch. I'm now able to spend most of my time on my feet instead of my arse, they fit really well, and as to the cleaning, I just hose them down in the back garden as soon as I'm home (along with me and the rest of my clothes) and leave them to dry in the garage. Look good as new!

Does anyone know if they still make these? I've seen reference to them in old Fellrunner magazines, but they don't seem to get spoken about on this forum much, or seem to be for sale in shops or on-line that I can see.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Does anyone know if they still make these? I've seen reference to them in old Fellrunner magazines, but they don't seem to get spoken about on this forum much, or seem to be for sale in shops or on-line that I can see.
    Gladiators are Running Bear's own brand.