Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INOV-8 and blisters

INOV-8 and blisters

Hi All,

I used to run in Walsh Pb's till one fatal Borrowdale when I gouged a chunk out of my heel. I looked for a different shoe and picked Ino-v8 mudclaw. My first pair were fantastic. Went out and bought another pair a year later and got blisters on both soles of my feet. I thought it could be old socks (twin skins) so bought a few new pairs. Just ran Holme Moss and again took a chunk out of the back of my heel again (different foot!).

Has any one had a similar problem? Can any one recomend a shoe to try? I don't mind a bit more weight but do not want to lose the grip.

Cheers
    Ian

Re: INOV-8 and blisters

There's a long thread on this somewhere. Some swear by inov8 and othersd swear at them. I have had 3 pairs of 290s, and the fit blister wise is totally unpredictable. First pair were great after a lengthy wearing -in, second were great straight out of the box, 3rd do 10 miles then lacerate my heels. Frustrating because I like them apart from that, but think I'm going to give up on them. Walshes have never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    lacerate my heels.
    I haven't read the other thread but I have found a solution to heel problems in Inov's that works for me.

Boots sell a felt padding which is very adhesive and can be stuck directly on to the back of the heel. You may struggle if your shoes are already a very tight fit but otherwise, and as in my case, it can turn unwearable heel choppers into excellent fell shoes.

Only a few quid and comprises of a strip which is long enough for a few pairs. Looks like this.

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_de...7317&slmRefer=

It says on the packaging that you should stick it on your skin, but I stick the tape on the heel of the shoe itself. I've done loads of races, mountain marathons etc in them and it's stayed put, just maybe worn slightly and eventually needed replacing.
    Last edited by Al.; 16-07-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: broken link

I had a problem with my Mudclaw 330s in hot conditions as they gave me bad blisters after a few miles. However, I don't think that its necessarily specific to the shoes themselves as I've suffered similar problems with other trainers. I now put Mepore dressings on each heel and tape them over with Elastoplast fabric strapping before each race. I haven't had any blisters since, even on the Holme Moss fell race where the hot conditions would normally have resulted in problems.

I got some useful tips from here:

http://www.sleepmonsters.co.uk/train...article_id=174

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

The best thing to do is to steam the heel cup (boil a kettle and stick the spout more-or-less in the shoe) for a minute or so. then put the shoe on and go for a short run. The plastic in the heel cup is thermosetting and will be soft when you put it on and then mold to your heel. I have found this to work - Ihave never had blisters from my current 330s.

I loved the Mudcalws, stick to anything, I love my PBs, feel like nothings on my feet but with grip.

My only thing with the PBs is that the heel cup is so HARD! maybe its 'cause I run on my forefoot/ midfoot so my heel is raised most of the time, but though I dont get blisters the solid heelcup isnt comfy until my heel numbs up a little.

Jason
    Is it meant to be this hard?

Its not just Inov8s, did Saunders over a week ago and my walshes have shredded my heels (on the back & sides, not underneath).

Did a trail race last night and ran last couple of miles carrying one shoe

Needless to say i've now got more cuts on my sole and a bruised heel

I need to find a different shoe for longer events, Walshes great grip but thats it, some Inov8 fine, others hurt!!!

Worried about Kentmere now on Sunday as i can't walk at the mo !!

Carrying a spare - now that's an idea.

Thanks for the info guys.
    I'll try steaming them. If that doesn't work I'm thinking of trying a pair of Montrail Highlander or La Sportiva Crosslight. Any one tried either?