Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoes for running on sand

Re: Shoes for running on sand

Some of us from up north don't know what you're talking about NB

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    A few of us Fell Ponies are doing the Northumberland Coastal Run this weekend. This is to support our near relations, the Beach Donkeys.
    For the uninitiated, the Northumberland Coastal Run is a bit like the Marathon des Sables, only much shorter and with less sunshine, and instead of grumpy camels you have to contend with Geordies.
    What kind of shoes are best for beach running? Studs? Cushioned road shoes?
    Trail shoes? Advice please.
    Done this a few times, late putting entry in this year so missed out doing Brecon pair of races instead, trail shoes will serve you well in the full race.
    Sand for first mile or so is rippled but hard, then on paths over dunes, if tide in, rocky paths, farm tracks and a distance on road.
    Last 2 miles is hardest going around headland heading for Alnmouth. When I get to this bit (2 hours ish) itas well churned up for the last 500 metres.
    Enjoy, its a brilliant event.

i wore inov8 flyrocs last year but they died so will be wearing wave harriers this year. more off road than tarmac

Done this race lots of times, in youger days we did Inglebrough on Saturday the Coast run on Sunday, them days have gone now, the race splits into three sections, 1/3 road 1/3 sand and 1/3 paths, we used road shoes, but trail will do OK. It used to be called the Phoenix 14, navigation instruction were keep the water on your left and if the tide was in it was full 14 miles and knee deep in water because you had to go through a stream on the 1st bay, if the tide is out it's only 13.5 miles. Them lot up there use to moan about the hills, but as a fell runner there are none, but the last beach is a drag, you can see the end but it does not get any closer, its a very good race, best of luck.

Agree with previous comments , not masses of sand and a fair bit is hard for running , softest stuff at the start. Watch out for the incredibly smelly seagull colony. Its a cracking run and good pub at end , haunted too!
    Generally going nowhere fast.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    What were they wearing on that mara de sab docu last week? they looked more like boots
    Did this last year. Most people were wearing X-Country/Trail shoes. The boot effect is from the gaiters they attach to - allegedly - stop the sand getting in.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

mds shoes

Thanks to everyone who has replied. All responses have been either amusing or useful.
    Think I'll go with the Mizuno trail shoes.

Philgreen1968: Sounds as if you'll be there on Sunday. I'll be wearing a white Fell Pony vest, hope to meet you.

BigCompass: There are some great pubs in Alnmouth, aren't there? Spent a great week in the town last summer, staying in a b&b after our family camping holiday was (literally) washed out. Most of my runs were along that last section of beach, from the golf club, so I know that section fairly well.

Calf: sorry it's too late to try out your suggestion. Tell me more. The shoes look..ummmm....colourful.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Just realised it was AlfTupper who mentioned the pub, not Big Compass. I must have felt a particular bond with Big Compass, as a former Dingham Lad meself...
    Alf, my bond with you is that like your cartoon persona, I too train mainly on fish and chips. However, he always won his races....BTW, do you recall the series when Alf Tupper played rugby league?

As for pumps/sandshoes: I went to school in the Sarf, and we always called them plimsolls.
    Now I work in West Yorkshire, and everyone talks about 'pumps'. Why would that be so risque in the North East, dare I ask?