Page 772 of 789 FirstFirst ... 272672722762770771772773774782 ... LastLast
Results 7,711 to 7,720 of 7882

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I knew there was some reason why I have stuck with old-fashioned toeclips.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I once fell over with my feet clipped in, and fell onto another cyclist while we were all waiting at a traffic lights on a sportive (!!). He was very nice about it, but of course I kept seeing him again and again for the next four hours of riding. Lesson learned that day: unclip early!

First ride on the road bike in ages last night. 21km, 439m ascent, 53'45".

I got 17 PBs on Strava! Which shows how little cycling I've done in recent years.

Today took it apart and learnt all about bent rear mech hangers - could be a lot worse!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I knew there was some reason why I have stuck with old-fashioned toeclips.
    Old-fashioned toeclips are the best all-round, do-everything, solution to keeping your feet on the pedals in the right position. Going back around 40 years ago it was quite common to see cyclists with toe-clips come to a road junction and fall off; it wasn't until they came to take their foot out that they remembered they'd tightened their toestraps.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Today took it apart and learnt all about bent rear mech hangers - could be a lot worse!
    I'm pleased to hear that it was your rear mech hanger that took the brunt of it, and I'm sure your wallet is too.

A word of warning, however. Two months ago I was walking down a hill, which is longer than you first think, when a group of 'mature' cyclists were heading the other way. One of them went to change gear, there was the grating sound of a really bad gear change, and then I saw his rear derailleur fall of the bike and bounce down the road still attached to the chain.

I'd never seen this before, but apparently it's not rare. A lot of frames now have a detachable rear hanger, and I can only guess that it had been bent and re-straightened, (possibly more than once), which had weakened it. When making a rear gear change, particularly a bad one, there is a bit of pull on the hanger. I can only assume this is what had caused it to shear suddenly. It might be wise to buy a spare hanger; not to fit immediately, but to have in case the re-bending leads to failure in the future. (There isn't a safety issue, as the chain is not under tension at this point.)

Of the three hills out of Settle, Simon Warren chooses to feature the one from Langcliffe Scar so this is the one I have done but my son has also done Albert Hill - one of the steep country roads out to Malham - so naturally.

I chose to start the ride from near Malham Tarn (Street Gate) which provided a route down Langcliffe Scar to Settle (during which I passed a nervous car driver) and then the longer of the climbs to the North out of Malham up to the Tarn. It was a hot day and was surprisingly busy for a working day Thursday.

Just a short gentle pootle round gorgeous North Yorkshire: 2180 feet of climb in 20 miles, maximum speed 39 mph, maximum pulse 143bpm.

Earlier I had noticed a (parked) WF Holdsworth steel bike, fixed wheel, just the one Weinmann brake, Brooks saddle to cut one in half, a huge saddle bag, Bluemels pump with the three coloured bands...it must have been 60 years old and, for the avoidance of doubt, I did not encounter this historical relic on any of the (allegedly) 20% climbs today.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-06-2021 at 08:40 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Earlier I had noticed a (parked) WF Holdsworth steel bike, fixed wheel, just the one Weinmann brake, Brooks saddle to cut one in half, a huge saddle bag, Bluemels pump with the three coloured bands...it must have been 60 years old and, for the avoidance of doubt, I did not encounter this historical relic on any of the (allegedly) 20% climbs today.
    Now you're talking; I'd probably have made the owner a financial offer if I'd been there.

My older brother had a Bluemels pump with the three coloured bands - they were made of metal. Pumps were plastic when I got my first 'adults' bike, so I was bit surprised to see one 5 years later on the bike of our top junior in the bike club. More surprising, he had two pumps on his bike. When asked about it, he explained that the plastic pump was for pumping up his tyres in the case of punctures, whilst the metal Bluemels one was for fending off aggressive uncontrolled dogs, usually in the vicinity of farms ...

I would question the use of the word 'relic' in association with fixed wheel bikes, as it is still the fastest, most efficient, and most entertaining form of cycling; so just as relevant now as when it was invented. Years, and years, ago I rode fixed wheel (42 x 16) in the Peak District, even up hills with a single arrow on the OS maps, (so allegedly 1 in 6 or 1 in 7). With the right gear ratio it is quicker uphill than a freewheel-equipped bike, and I surprised quite a lot of good cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Now you're talking; I'd probably have made the owner a financial offer if I'd been there.

My older brother had a Bluemels pump with the three coloured bands - they were made of metal. Pumps were plastic when I got my first 'adults' bike, so I was bit surprised to see one 5 years later on the bike of our top junior in the bike club. More surprising, he had two pumps on his bike. When asked about it, he explained that the plastic pump was for pumping up his tyres in the case of punctures, whilst the metal Bluemels one was for fending off aggressive uncontrolled dogs, usually in the vicinity of farms ...

I would question the use of the word 'relic' in association with fixed wheel bikes, as it is still the fastest, most efficient, and most entertaining form of cycling; so just as relevant now as when it was invented. Years, and years, ago I rode fixed wheel (42 x 16) in the Peak District, even up hills with a single arrow on the OS maps, (so allegedly 1 in 6 or 1 in 7). With the right gear ratio it is quicker uphill than a freewheel-equipped bike, and I surprised quite a lot of good cyclists.
    I think any offer would have been expected to be in guineas but mea culpa I obviously meant "classic".

Brett rides a F/W - perhaps he is the relic?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

39 miles and 4900ft, much of it rough forestry gravel. Surprised I was 30 minutes quicker than 7 months ago (when I last rode the route).
    Oh well, mustn't grumble.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.