Page 773 of 846 FirstFirst ... 273673723763771772773774775783823 ... LastLast
Results 7,721 to 7,730 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Just rolled in from a steady 33m to the fleece in Addingham and back, pint to mary jane and some chips to eat there. I made a detour on the way out to find out where grove road in Ilkley goes, and it doesn't go anywhere really, just to a wood and a sign telling you not to feed sheep rhododendron leaves or they'll die. On the way up I noticed a fabulous art deco style mansion set in a few acres of grounds, very expensive looking, God knows who lives there. On the way back I unsuccessfully tried to find Ilkley brewery, there aren't that many places to hide a brewery in a small town.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    On the way back I unsuccessfully tried to find Ilkley brewery, there aren't that many places to hide a brewery in a small town.
    Ilkley is not Tadcaster so it's on a small industrial estate next to the sewage plant (so by the river).

Really!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I made a detour on the way out to find out where grove road in Ilkley goes, and it doesn't go anywhere really, just to a wood and a sign telling you not to feed sheep rhododendron leaves or they'll die. On the way up I noticed a fabulous art deco style mansion set in a few acres of grounds, very expensive looking, God knows who lives there.
    Heathcote

Neoclassical style villa, designed by architect Edwin Lutyens, completed in 1908.

Grade I listed building, English Heritage called it a "pivotal" building in Lutyens's career, and "an imaginative and inventive essay in Mannerism". The gardens are Grade II listed in the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.

One family of three live there. They own a Bentley, a Jaguar and a Porsche SUV.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    CW this week has a bike review, by an ancient member of staff (ie approaching 50) of the Officine Mattio Lemma 2.0 (7.3kg).

OM is a new obscure Italian brand and the bike is mostly plain carbon with a couple of red flashes. It's £10,200 (and that's without the most expensive fittings in the world) and the reviewer feels a bit short changed saying "let's face it, bikes like this are partly about being seen."

Partly about being seen!!!

I hope that idea doesn't get around.
    It's hard to work out how much my fancy bike cost in 2022 terms, as I started building it in 1981. I know the cost of the frame and wheels, and they come in at £976 in today's money, so my estimate is around the £1500 mark.

What I do know, however, is that it weighs 7.4kg and if I threw another £500 on new wheels I could get it down to 7.2kg.

As it's in Mercatone Uno - Wega 1997 team colours,(Graham will understand), it certainly gets seen as the main tubes are bright yellow, whilst the tubes that hold the wheels on are bright red one side and blue the other

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

As it's in Mercatone Uno - Wega 1997 team colours,(Graham will understand), it certainly gets seen as the main tubes are bright yellow, whilst the tubes that hold the wheels on are bright red one side and blue the other

I do find it a bit odd that so many frames are in black these days but maybe as long as one's chums know your bike cost £10K that's OK.

I do find it a bit odd that so many frames are in black these days but maybe as long as one's chums know your bike cost £10K that's OK.
    I read an article last year from someone at Bianchi that painting the frame added 50g in weight; and as carbon fibre isn't going to rust, that's why some bikes are plain black

With all that bright colour going on Marco I would imagine that passers by would think that the Circus is coming to town as you cycle by!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Heathcote

Neoclassical style villa, designed by architect Edwin Lutyens, completed in 1908.

Grade I listed building, English Heritage called it a "pivotal" building in Lutyens's career, and "an imaginative and inventive essay in Mannerism". The gardens are Grade II listed in the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.

One family of three live there. They own a Bentley, a Jaguar and a Porsche SUV.
    I knew I could rely on you, Graham. It's a very striking building and very rectilinear in style. As I zipped past I noticed how well it sat in the space and how red it was. The lack of a backdrop and the way the land falls away behind it really focuses attention on the building itself. Do they take visitors? Can we have a forum luncheon round there? Lots of beetroot salad for Noel.

Ilkley is not Tadcaster so it's on a small industrial estate next to the sewage plant (so by the river).

Really!
    Have they got a tap room and do they tolerate swan-neckers?

I peeled off at the old 'Il Trovatore' nightclub which, horror of horrors, is now a cinema, and had a look around the units where Nigel Akids body shop is. No luck obviously.

I read an article last year from someone at Bianchi that painting the frame added 50g in weight; and as carbon fibre isn't going to rust, that's why some bikes are plain black
    Ah yes thanks. 50 grams. I must cut my toe nails tonight.