Page 773 of 773 FirstFirst ... 273673723763771772773
Results 7,721 to 7,730 of 7730

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

  1. #7721
    Admin brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cononley
    Posts
    3,388
    Can't have been me cos my fixed at the moment is a new Cinelli Shark

    I have owned a couple of classic track bikes inc a Woodrup

    I also have a 1953 Ellis Briggs road bike and an early Mike Burrows Windcheetah



    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Brett rides a F/W - perhaps he is the relic?

  2. #7722
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Can't have been me cos my fixed at the moment is a new Cinelli Shark
    Very nice. I don't see many of those outside La Stazione
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  3. #7723
    Master molehill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rhandirmwyn
    Posts
    3,717
    A decent week despite breaking the new bike!
    Total of 96 miles for 10900ft ascent which is my best this year and I feel ok.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

  4. #7724
    Master Wheeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monmouth
    Posts
    7,224
    Careful Moley...you might get invited to some naughty 2 wheeled adventures!

  5. #7725
    Senior Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Flat SE Staffordshire
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I lived in Cannock until I was 9 years so I knew the Chase and I am rather sad that I have never been back. I once planned to do the "fell race" on the Chase but decided at the last minute that I had spent too much of my life on motorways and ran something more local; but now in my declining years..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I first walked on Cannock Chase 50 years ago as a small child and it has changed a lot in that time. Only last Sunday the four remaining cooling towers of Rugeley Power station were demolished - a very big local landmark, and useful navigational reference point on the North East side of the Chase. The trees are planted further apart than they used top be, so you no longer look into blackness of impossibly dense trees, and they have 'softened' some parts with broadleaf trees. I'll see if I've got some good photos so you can see what you're missing
    I have very few photos of Cannock Chase, but here is one I took in April at the very North end, (just under 9km by road from J13 of the M6)



    Hopefully, it will illustrate the more attractive spacing of trees, compared to previous decades, and also on the right the very many steep inclines that only descend around 10 metres.

  6. #7726
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I have very few photos of Cannock Chase, but here is one I took in April at the very North end, (just under 9km by road from J13 of the M6)



    Hopefully, it will illustrate the more attractive spacing of trees, compared to previous decades, and also on the right the very many steep inclines that only descend around 10 metres.


    Thank you. Although even 10 metres of climb can count if there are enough of them.

    Some years ago my then club aspired to list a race on clear paths through a local wood in the FRA Calendar as a short "C" ("fully marked"). I think the RO must have counted every divot to get the minimum height for inclusion in the Calendar.

    The race was held but a young boy whose mother assumed that he was following her reached the finish funnel alone and started hysterically berating the funnel marshal (me) and the RO because her son was lost and therefore fire, police, ambulance, mountain rescue and Air Force 1 * should be instantly summoned to save her child (* I remember well that she was a North American lady).

    Fortunately for the emergency services the RO and I resisted instantly calling out the helicopters and her husband arrived shortly at the other end of the finish tunnel accompanied by, of course, the "missing" son.

    After extensive therapy the RO decided that the experience was too searing to risk any repeat and the race (with my approval) was never held again.

    But after that stimulating experience marshalling/collecting all vest numbers for other events like the first CP on Sedbergh Hills was - well, just a walk in the woods.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 21-06-2021 at 07:10 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  7. #7727
    Master molehill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rhandirmwyn
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Careful Moley...you might get invited to some naughty 2 wheeled adventures!
    You'll have to take your batteries out before I come along!!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

  8. #7728
    Master mr brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loving it in the Pilates Studio
    Posts
    6,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Thank you. Although even 10 metres of climb can count if there are enough of them.

    Some years ago my then club aspired to list a race on clear paths through a local wood in the FRA Calendar as a short "C" ("fully marked"). I think the RO must have counted every divot to get the minimum height for inclusion in the Calendar.

    The race was held but a young boy whose mother assumed that he was following her reached the finish funnel alone and started hysterically berating the funnel marshal (me) and the RO because her son was lost and therefore fire, police, ambulance, mountain rescue and Air Force 1 * should be instantly summoned to save her child (* I remember well that she was a North American lady).

    Fortunately for the emergency services the RO and I resisted instantly calling out the helicopters and her husband arrived shortly at the other end of the finish tunnel accompanied by, of course, the "missing" son.

    After extensive therapy the RO decided that the experience was too searing to risk any repeat and the race (with my approval) was never held again.

    But after that stimulating experience marshalling/collecting all vest numbers for other events like the first CP on Sedbergh Hills was - well, just a walk in the woods.
    Great story. Reminds me of the time i was holding a gate at Sedbergh Gala BORFA when some farmer with a terrible attitude towards runners drove a flock of ewes across a field of U11s running up towards me. One of them bolted through the open gate and he went mental and blamed it all on me.
    Can't climb for toffee...

  9. #7729
    Senior Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Flat SE Staffordshire
    Posts
    452
    Sunny, a few fluffy clouds and 17 C when I left the car, near the Shugborough Estate, and started riding. The plan was to ride in a NW direction to Eccleshall, but Stafford is in the way so I headed out over the West Coast mainline to Tixall, before cutting back to ride a couple of miles around the Stafford ring-road, (not as grim as it sounds; most people seem to prefer to drive through Stafford rather than around it for some reason). Turned left at the Harrier jump-jet, outside MOD Stafford, and then through a residential cul-de-sac to find cycle route 5.

    I haven't used the National Cycle network much, as my nearest route has a habit of using pavements and switching sides of the road at islands and junctions, but route 5 piqued my interest. On further investigation I found it went from Reading to Holyhead, via Oxford, Stratford-upon-Avon, Birmingham, Walsall, Burntwood, big gap here and then through Stafford, Stoke-on-Trent, Northwich, Chester, Rhyl, Llandudno, and Bangor.

    Crossing Stafford, route 5 uses the disused Stafford and Uttoxeter railway line that was bought by the Great Northern Railway before becoming part of the London and North Eastern Railway. Not that you can see much, as it goes under the main roads and the hedges are thick and overgrown. It did get me to the Eccleshall road on a traffic-free route, however.

    From Eccleshall I rode South to Gnosall where I had a choice. I could have gone to Penkridge via Church Eaton, but chose the slightly better roads through Bradley. At Penkridge I crossed the river, railway and M6 before riding through Brocton and Mlford to the top end of Cannock Chase.

    54.7km with 475m of ascent
    Last edited by Marco; Today at 07:32 PM.

  10. #7730
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ... uses the disused Stafford and Uttoxeter railway line that was bought by the Great Northern Railway before becoming part of the London and North Eastern Railway.
    Mmmh. Either you read this on a sign, you've used google or you own eg Railway Clearing House - Atlas of England & Wales 1904
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Similar Threads

  1. Overnight road bike ride
    By fishbulb in forum Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-09-2019, 03:52 PM
  2. first ride on the road bike:-(
    By SEFTON in forum Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21-01-2011, 08:28 PM
  3. so you think you ride a bike
    By IanDarkpeak in forum General chat!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
  4. Anyone fancy a bike ride?
    By JeffM in forum Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-05-2009, 01:41 PM
  5. Easter Lakes Bike ride.
    By Al Fowler in forum General chat!
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •